Originally thought Angelfish Epistylis/bacterial infection, now think I have a bigger problem

MarkM

To get to the point, it looks like additional fish in original tank are symptomatic. Need help identifying what to dose with.  Parameters still all normal, planted tank w/co2 so salt dosing is more difficult. 

Now the full story and what I've done so far.

4 days ago noticed a white spot on top of Male (silver mutt) angelfish's head.  They had just spawned and the female is often rather rough so I was unsure if she just got him good and started with "wait and see".  No other fish in 29 g tank showed symptoms at that point (1 female angelfish, 2 juvenile molly, 4 bronze corydoras, and 3 SAE).  Parameters all normal (0 ammonite, 0 nitrite, more GH than any strip measures, KH somewhere between 40 and 80, PH 7.2 ish, chlorine 0, nitrate 25ish)

By monday the spots had multiplied and it didn't look like Ich (they were protruding) so thought epistylis. Out of the main tank into a hospital tank he went. 

Added 1tb/3gallon salt and tried to dose kanaplex in food (1 scoop kanaplex, 1 scoop focus, 1 tbsp food, drops of water and cap of garlicguard) but angelfish won't eat.  After a day of not eating got antsy and dosed water with kanaplex.  White protruding spots stopped protruding overnight (I wish I had grabbed before pictures) but can still notice the spots, and where the ventral fin connects to the body seems discolored.  Apologies for the pictures in advance, need to get a macro lens.

image.jpeg.da4557cdf66930e24be4db165b5b3bb2.jpeg

image.jpeg.aaf2b895131c59dfbf89730631c910d2.jpegimage.jpeg.ab99e7f1ddeaddbda6e1ce5b0b9275bf.jpeg

Now this afternoon I am now seeing white blotches on the SAE in the main tank as well.  

image.jpeg.1ccf14dd5e2e2651a9a528afe73cabc5.jpeg

image.jpeg.393748fa66aaeda0fde5c802979dcb1c.jpeg

Nothing else seems to be protruding.  At this point not entirely sure what I'm fighting, but knew it was time to get a second opinion. 

Edited by MarkM
To change "no other fish show symptoms" to "showed symptoms at that point"

Thanks for suggestions. I hadn’t used Kanaplex outside of the hospital tank so wasn’t sure if it would be a double whammy with the salt. 

with all the fish starting to show symptoms I’ll be dosing the main tank instead of just hospital tank. It’ll suck to lose the plants, but rather keep fish alive. 

On 2/23/2023 at 8:40 PM, MarkM said:

Thanks for suggestions. I hadn’t used Kanaplex outside of the hospital tank so wasn’t sure if it would be a double whammy with the salt. 

with all the fish starting to show symptoms I’ll be dosing the main tank instead of just hospital tank. It’ll suck to lose the plants, but rather keep fish alive. 

He's how to tell the difference between ich and epistylis if it's epistylis I would treat  kanaplex and aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 5 gallons  as epistylis feeds off of the gram negative bacterial on the slime coat of your fish and causes secondary infection that what usually kills your fish kanaplex effectively remove it's food source salt also help to provent secondary bacterial infections @MarkM

IMG_20230125_225944.jpg