Kids' Tank

Katherine

On 3/9/2023 at 10:40 AM, Lennie said:

How long have they spent time in the bag before being drip acclimated?

I think it was a 25 minute drive home from the store. So that plus whatever time it took to checkout plus 20 minutes floating the bag for temp. So almost an hour?

On 3/9/2023 at 7:48 PM, Katherine said:

I think it was a 25 minute drive home from the store. So that plus whatever time it took to checkout plus 20 minutes floating the bag for temp. So almost an hour?

I feel like this is more problematic when fish spends time shipped in bags for a longer time. But I think it would be nice to add a drop of prime next time just to be safe.

Losing fish might be harsh on the kiddos. I hope they won't face the same issue again. I'm sorry to hear that.

I think going for some hardy fish might be a safer bet next time.

Any other fish you guys have in mind?

On 3/9/2023 at 9:09 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Aren’t neons hardy? @Lennie

i thought most tetras are.

I have never kept neons myself as I don't really like them, so it is based on my assumption and observations.

I usually visit my lfs once a week at least, sometimes more than once as it is close to me. They have around 100 tanks, and usually the only fish tanks show constant stress no matter what size group they have are neons and cardinals from my experience. Cardinals being the worst compared to anything else. No matter how many they get, every week, they sold out super duper fast.

I feel like neons are way too overbred at this point as they are really on demand. Or they are wildcaught which may make it even worse in terms of hardiness. Same goes for cardinals too, they are mostly wildcaught.

Surprisingly, green neons always do great at the store, as they are mostly wild caught and have specific water requirements. I don't know really. They are more expensive and are in less demand tho, from what I've observed. 

But neons are not as hardy as most tetras imo

On 3/9/2023 at 10:00 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I get that. They have been suuuuper popular in the hobby for many years. Also I read or saw a video that guppies get ill often for the same reason, and they get that crooked back thing.

Yes. Goldfish too

The amount of babies that are being euthanised is crazy high due to deformities.

• Sad 1

On 3/9/2023 at 10:55 AM, Lennie said:

Losing fish might be harsh on the kiddos. I hope they won't face the same issue again. I'm sorry to hear that.

I think going for some hardy fish might be a safer bet next time.

Any other fish you guys have in mind?

Well, we want a hillstream loach eventually, but are going to start with their schooling fish.

Ember tetras and harlequin rasboras were two they liked. I don't remember what all else. I'm going to look through my other thread again and see what the suggestions were.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Ok, after a few months of crazy life stuff I'm ready to get back to this tank. Since it had no livestock in it it was neglected. It was fairly obvious a week or so after removing the lobster and doing some water changes that the lobster was not the cause (or not the only cause) of the small bubbles from the air stone. So I'm going to be running a month + experiment to determine what may or may not be safe in the tank. Here's the current plan.

Today I removed all but one thing that hasn't previously been used in a successful setup. The filter, heater, plants, and barrel decoration have been used before with no problems. So we're starting with just the gravel that's new. I also did as close to a 100% water change as I could. I'll be doing nearly 100% water changes every day for a week, then filling the tank with water from my 75g. I'll let that run for a week then move 1 fish over when I can sit and watch it for a while.

If that goes well I'll move the fish back to my 75 and add one thing back into the tank. Let that sit for a week and repeat the fish test. Hopefully we'll be able to isolate what the issue was.

Tank after a few months of just throwing in some food occasionally to hopefully not lose the cycle.

kidtank.jpg.8ccc507f4b480f1f3715b329e2de9fae.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...