How to Reinforce Shelving?

Saltinthedesert

Wondering if anyone has had any luck successfully reinforcing industrial shelves. These ones are made of a plywood and have held up ok but I’ve been wanting to beef them up a bit. 

These are all 20 longs and are a little under the total weight limits for the shelving. Wasn’t sure if replacing the shelf material completely or attaching something stiffer was a good option. Would like to hear what’s worked for any of you. 

Thanks. 

6D6B6D51-EEE9-4888-9446-0150BB3FBCB8.jpeg

• Like 1

My rack has a wire base that goes the whole length of the rack with steel supports every 2 feet that span the width of the rack. On the top level that holds my 55 and a 20 high I put down a piece of plywood over the metal wire base.

To reinforce your shelving I would try to do something similar. My mind also goes to 2x4 supports on each vertical corner, but that’s not very aesthetically pleasing and could make maintenance a pain. 

Edited by AllFishNoBrakes
  • Like 1

If the wood is the pressed particle board that usually comes with those racks, I would replace it with some 3/4" plywood that has been painted on the top, bottom and edges with a nice outdoor weather/ water proof paint. That particle board will swell up when it gets any water on it, and become weak, and quite possibly the tank could crash through it. 

• Like 4

On 2/15/2023 at 5:19 AM, Andy's Fish Den said:

If the wood is the pressed particle board that usually comes with those racks, I would replace it with some 3/4" plywood that has been painted on the top, bottom and edges with a nice outdoor weather/ water proof paint. That particle board will swell up when it gets any water on it, and become weak, and quite possibly the tank could crash through it. 

i had success with the same thing but went a little thinner on the plywood to cut some cost since I am only holding 10 gallon tanks on my shelves. Plywood is priced like a precious metal these days. Big box store was able to cut to size for me and they dropped right in. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/15/2023 at 1:12 AM, Saltinthedesert said:

Wondering if anyone has had any luck successfully reinforcing industrial shelves. These ones are made of a plywood and have held up ok but I’ve been wanting to beef them up a bit. 

These are all 20 longs and are a little under the total weight limits for the shelving. Wasn’t sure if replacing the shelf material completely or attaching something stiffer was a good option. Would like to hear what’s worked for any of you. 

Thanks. 

6D6B6D51-EEE9-4888-9446-0150BB3FBCB8.jpeg

Yes would love to know what brand and size rack this is?