Just wanted to share some success

bryanisag

Hi all, I just wanted to share what I accomplished today.

I have a 40 gallon reef tank that I got for free and currently have set up as a dirted tank. It was really ruff when I got it so I had to remove the foam on the bottom of the tank and I replaced it with strips of sticky foam to cover the whole bottom of the aquarium. Don't ever do that lol. After a short time the aquarium became so stuck to the table it's on that I had to empty it entirely and use a LOT of force to pry it off the table. I actually used a ratchet strap to add force to it and then I had to pull it as hard as I could to pry it off the table. I thought it would break for sure.

Anyways today's project was to drill a hole in the back and install an aquarium Co Op bulkhead. And needles to say I didn't want to move it to drill it. The glass is 5/16" thick. 

Well I used a lense that I borrowed from my mom that is polarized to test if the aquarium was made out of tempered glass and it was not. The lense is very pricey so I wouldn't recommend buying it for this purpose but if you already have it or can borrow it then it works really well. You would have to Google the trick to use it though because I can't understand or explain it.

Then I made a template to clamp on the tank where I want the hole to go. It's a piece of plywood with a hole in it obviously but it also has a chanel that runs from the edge to the hole so that I can run water continuously as I'm drilling. I used a small container of water and some airline tubing to start a siphon that runs to my template. All told it took a while to drill but only used 2 to 3 cups of water and the towels I used to absorb the water contained the mess. 

The new water level is perfect in my opinion and the old pump I replaced with an air stone in the old tubing to make a small uplift tube.

Any suggestions are welcome by the way.

Also it currently overflows into another aquarium but that is temporary 

PXL_20230214_234355719.jpg

PXL_20230215_033453276.MP.jpg

PXL_20230215_032444533.jpg

PXL_20230215_000445694.jpg

PXL_20230214_234147019.jpg

PXL_20230214_233900603.jpg

PXL_20230214_233551203.jpg

• Like 3

On 2/15/2023 at 7:15 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

Definitely an interesting one. Method worked well, nicely done.

Are you planning to setup something for WCs or why add the bulkhead?

Sounds like a sump/refugium is in the works. 🙂

Just an overflow to a drain. I fill a barrel on wheels with water, pump it into the tank and the overflow will one day go to the yard I'm hoping 

• Like 1

On 2/15/2023 at 9:50 AM, Sora said:

cool! 👍 are those common goldfish?

Yep, I cleaned up a pair of feeder goldies to keep mosquitoes out of my mom's pool in the winter but the pool never tested good enough to release them so for the moment they just eat all the duck weed I can through at them

• Like 1