Dog breath

knee

So let me start by saying that I brush all my dogs teeth 3-4x a week and I know that I should be doing it everyday. But I have three dogs and there are just some days where I don't wanna wrestle with them.

The other 2 dogs breath has a smell but it's not that bad. The third one tho... 🤢

I have gotten her dental cleaning and I'm also giving them Ark Naturals which is suppose to help clean their teeth, and especially helpful when I don't brush them for that day. They also have some sort of water additive to help with their breath but my third baby I swear it's just 🤮

I really don't mind the smell and I know I won't be able to get rid of it, but I wanna see if I can make it better. If there's anyone out there that has any other remedies that worked for them, I'm open (and kinda desperate) for suggestions.

Here’s Nickel aka Stinky Breath image.jpeg.cf379de595aa8afe6c355a137920135f.jpeg

• Like 1

On 2/14/2023 at 11:23 AM, Guppysnail said:

Poor baby. My vet gave me Greenis dog chews. They helped but my Alaskan Malamutes breath wasn’t quite that bad. https://www.greenies.com/collections/all-dental-treats

Thank you! I give them greenies as well. They get ARK in the morning and greenies at night. Sadly it doesn't do much for her breath 🥲

• Sad 1

On 2/14/2023 at 2:50 PM, knee said:

Thank you! I give them greenies as well. They get ARK in the morning and greenies at night. Sadly it doesn't do much for her breath 🥲

Have you had her checked for internal issues. I know when my Akita got cancer his breath became overwhelming to say the least but it was the only indicator something was wrong. He was still his usual self. 

Is your vet doing full mouth radiographs when they do dental cleanings?  If they aren’t, they should be.  Radiographs are the only way to find dental disease hidden below the gum line.  Your kiddo may also be one of those dogs that needs more frequent cleaning, every 6 months instead of annual.

Some dogs also get lip fold pyoderma (infection) in the little crease in the lower lip that starts just behind the canine and angles down and back.  Nickel doesn’t look like there are deep lip folds, but it’s worth checking.  Do you do annual blood work before each dental cleaning?  There are medical conditions that can cause bad breath.  Annual fecal parasite antigen tests can also be helpful since some intestinal parasites can cause bad breath.

Those are the most common “alternate” reasons for bad breath in dogs.  Oh, besides going outside and outright eating poo.  Or licking other parts of themselves or other dogs or other things that stink.  Make sure Nickel doesn’t have impacted anal sacs/glands and is then licking that area.  That can certainly cause bad breath.

Some dogs need to be on antibiotics for a week or so after their dental if there is any periodontal disease found during the dental cleaning.  Are you brushing with a dog toothpaste that has enzymatic cleaning like CET brand?  Kind of random thoughts but all worth investigating or putting into action.

• Like 1