Can anyone recommend a heater guard?

Chick-In-Of-TheSea

All heaters nowadays should come with guards in my opinion. It feels like it shouldn't add too much cost either, but I don't know the first thing about the manufacturing of these things so maybe it is. I love the fluval LED heaters so much because of their flow notifications and guards. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Regarding 3d printed parts and heat:

PLA is the lowest melt temperature so avoid this material where heat is involved (hot water from your tap is hot enough to reshape it)

PETG is a little better up to about 110 Fahrenheit. 

ABS/ASA is commonly used and would easily withstand the heat involved with your heater. 

Less commonly used materials like poly carbonate (PC) plastic would have even higher temperature resistance than ABS or ASA, but not many people print this material due to the requirement of a heated print enclosure. 

Edited by Tommy Vercetti
  • Thanks 3

On 2/1/2023 at 1:52 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I have a small Hygger 50w.

Let it run it's life. Replace it with the ACO version.  Same price as a guard for most heaters.

The one I'd recommend is the E-Series from fluval, but for some ridiculous reason no one except EU stocks it.

As far as what to look for, you definitely need some space for flow, holes for flow as well. So you want something that has a lot of grooves and openings.  Without dimensions, it's difficult to specify which one.  As mentioned, etsy is a good choice, but just keep in mind design.  Let me know if you need anything.

On 2/2/2023 at 12:33 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

They have a 50w one

Ordered, received, tested in 5g bucket for a day and a half, and now installed in the 5g. Holding a steady 80, verified with floating thermometer. No chance of fin burn now due to ACO’s built in heater guard. Can’t say fin burn was the real issue, just a variable I wanted to eliminate in the betta tank.

Great suggestion 👍👍. Not much more $ to buy the ACO heater vs some third party heater guard for the Hygger heater.

On 2/1/2023 at 11:58 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Let it run it's life. Replace it with the ACO version.  Same price as a guard for most heaters.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 2

On 2/8/2023 at 9:21 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Good to hear you're happy with it! Hopefully you keep seeing improvement with little Geppetto!

I’ve got the 100w version in the shrimp tank and have been pleased with it. Geppetto is doing well. Tomorrow is his third and final dose of Kanaplex. His dorsal fin still has a sort of split on the end. It has been improving. His tail and bottom fin are looking great. New growth on his tail continues.

• Like 1

On 2/8/2023 at 6:24 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

His dorsal fin still has a sort of split on the end. It has been improving. His tail and bottom fin are looking great. New growth on his tail continues.

Good to hear.  I got to that point and did a second treatment just to be sure it was fully through the worst of it.  About to go through it again with the Black Cory fry. 

• Like 1