Cory fry impromptu food options

Brainsponge

I had a second batch of Emerald Cory eggs appear a couple of days ago. I moved a batch to a 5 gal I had to grow out small plants and I just discovered a few fry. I don't have any fry food on hand. I have Repashy bottom scratcher powder and Xtreme Nano. I figure the Xtreme nano is too bog so I put a bit of Repashy powder in. I recall boiled egg yolks crushed up would work.

Any input on something that might give them a fighting chance?

I'm not setup or prepared for breeding and this is only the second batch of eggs I've ever had. Thanks for any help

I would answer your question with a question and that is; is algae a normal occurring thing in nature? Algae is a natural thing that happens. It’s an organism that eats nitrates and helps create food sources. I get it, algae is unsightly and feels like something we should get rid of, but is a great sign your tank/outdoor pond is active and working. 

The bottom scratcher is slightly chunky, but will work.  Just leaves a bit more of a mess than the others because of ingredients.  If you can, soilent green is probably my favorite because of the recipe and it's literally powderized the smallest out of all the ones I have.  Second in line was the community blend.  Spawn and grow is also useful as well for this situation.

Feed them 3-4x a day, keep it clean, should be fine. (if using a container to raise them)

On 1/29/2023 at 6:59 PM, Brainsponge said:

What about some small algae blooms I have going on in an outdoor container pond? Would that don anything positive or am I over thinking it?

Not necessary.  Could introduce pests.  You give them cover, something to graze on like moss, powder food and you're good.  You can make anything into powder food with a pepper grinder, a ziploc bag and some patience, or mortar and pestle.  I stick to a mostly spirulina diet via flakes or powders and feed in something with protein every 2-3 days.  Doesn't have to be that complex, feeding say... omni for 2-3 meals and then protein on the 4th would be fine as well.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update, I've got at least four fry that have made it so far, those are the ones I can see and count independently. I'm thinking there are possibly more that I can't see. Hopefully they'll be big enough to see all of them in a couple of weeks or so. 

Thanks for everyones input. I was not prepared so thanks again for the quick input.