Jobs in the aquarium industry?

Gannon

Hello! I'm a college student studying animal ecology and marketing. Animals and life science is a passion of mine as I am sure is the same for all of you. My marketing degree might stand out as odd, but due to high school credits it was very easy to complete alongside a very different major. I've been interested in taking my marketing degree in a few directions that would also allow me to work with things that matter to me like potentially the aquarium hobby that is so important to me. I'm sure this probably isn't the best place to ask, but sometimes I'm surprised with a good answer when I ask this kind of thing. I was wondering if anyone knew good avenues to take for jobs in general in the aquarium industry and more specifically marketing if anyone knows anything about that. 

I truly thrive and excel in everything I do when it is something that I believe in the value of so much so I'd really like to see how I could make this work. I have a lot of potential plans to work in invasive species control and fish stocking hatcheries with my ecology degree, but I'd like to also scope out the most exciting ways I could use my marketing degree also. 

• Like 3

• Administrators
On 1/27/2023 at 8:18 AM, Gannon said:

Hello! I'm a college student studying animal ecology and marketing. Animals and life science is a passion of mine as I am sure is the same for all of you. My marketing degree might stand out as odd, but due to high school credits it was very easy to complete alongside a very different major. I've been interested in taking my marketing degree in a few directions that would also allow me to work with things that matter to me like potentially the aquarium hobby that is so important to me. I'm sure this probably isn't the best place to ask, but sometimes I'm surprised with a good answer when I ask this kind of thing. I was wondering if anyone knew good avenues to take for jobs in general in the aquarium industry and more specifically marketing if anyone knows anything about that. 

I truly thrive and excel in everything I do when it is something that I believe in the value of so much so I'd really like to see how I could make this work. I have a lot of potential plans to work in invasive species control and fish stocking hatcheries with my ecology degree, but I'd like to also scope out the most exciting ways I could use my marketing degree also. 

It is nice to see that someone at your age is already focused and thinking about a career that they would enjoy as well as possibly excel at.

My advice is to continue growing in both areas (marketing & the aquarium hobby). Even if you find yourself working in a completely different industry utilizing your marketing degree, you will still be learning and gaining experience that may be applicable to a future opportunity in the area that you are most passionate about. While doing so, if you stay active in the aquarium hobby on a personal level, you will continue to learn and grow your knowledge base there (which would add to credibility down the road when seeking an opportunity in that industry).

Look at my career path. I went from healthcare/food and operations, to owning a small company, back to healthcare operations, to broadline distribution/client management/sales, and now finally working for Aquarium Co-Op (Director of Marketing & Customer Engagement). Fish had been a passion for most of my life, and I finally had an opportunity to utilize skills I had gained in my previous career to apply it here.

On 1/27/2023 at 12:57 PM, Zenzo said:

It is nice to see that someone at your age is already focused and thinking about a career that they would enjoy as well as possibly excel at.

My advice is to continue growing in both areas (marketing & the aquarium hobby). Even if you find yourself working in a completely different industry utilizing your marketing degree, you will still be learning and gaining experience that may be applicable to a future opportunity in the area that you are most passionate about. While doing so, if you stay active in the aquarium hobby on a personal level, you will continue to learn and grow your knowledge base there (which would add to credibility down the road when seeking an opportunity in that industry).

Look at my career path. I went from healthcare/food and operations, to owning a small company, back to healthcare operations, to broadline distribution/client management/sales, and now finally working for Aquarium Co-Op (Director of Marketing & Customer Engagement). Fish had been a passion for most of my life, and I finally had an opportunity to utilize skills I had gained in my previous career to apply it here.

Thank you for your time and response on this! Even through likely downsizing my hobby during moves to try to make certain opportunities work there is no chance I stop being active in the hobby. I can't imagine how exciting it must be to apply so much of your skills and experiences in your career and hobby together!

On 1/27/2023 at 12:55 PM, Theplatymaster said:

have you heard of the American Fisheries Institute . Its a institute, that i think is ran by the government, that is in charge of stocking lakes and rivers and dealing with problems like Overfishing and Polution in these habitats.

This is pretty much one of my potential paths. I've talked to a few people involved in this. 

• 1 year later...
On 1/27/2023 at 12:57 PM, Zenzo said:

Hi! Graduating this spring and looking at a lot of jobs and have been reaching out to a few companies in the home aquarium hobby. I was wondering with being in the aquarium industry, if you had any good recommendations on who I should reach out to? Thanks for any help you can offer!

• 1 month later...
On 2/13/2024 at 12:43 PM, Gannon said:

Hi! Graduating this spring and looking at a lot of jobs and have been reaching out to a few companies in the home aquarium hobby. I was wondering with being in the aquarium industry, if you had any good recommendations on who I should reach out to? Thanks for any help you can offer!

I would reach out to companies that you value yourself and are happy with the values that they embrace like co-op has or a number of the others, be it the customer service, or the focus on the environment, etc..  Someplace that will drive your passion and not lead you to dreading the work.  I may be in manufacturing but I love the fact that the parts I build are for school buses and to UPS trucks.  I can tell anyone that I build parts responsible for the kids to go to school.  You want that level of passion. 

• Like 2

On 3/16/2024 at 5:54 AM, johnnyxxl said:

I would reach out to companies that you value yourself and are happy with the values that they embrace like co-op has or a number of the others, be it the customer service, or the focus on the environment, etc..  Someplace that will drive your passion and not lead you to dreading the work.  I may be in manufacturing but I love the fact that the parts I build are for school buses and to UPS trucks.  I can tell anyone that I build parts responsible for the kids to go to school.  You want that level of passion. 

I'm really trying! So far haven't heard from any of the organizations I've reached out to, but I'm still looking and keeping my fingers crossed. 

• Like 1