What is this plant?

On 1/25/2023 at 6:56 AM, Odd Duck said:

Looks like Vallisneria to me.  I don’t think microsword has those little pale cross lines like Val does.  Someone please correct me if I’m wrong on that one.

The first picture marked is Val, the second unmarked picture is microsword.  I stand by my statement! 

iMarkup_20230125_070851.jpg

20230125_070333.jpg

On 1/25/2023 at 6:12 AM, JoeQ said:

The first picture marked is Val, the second unmarked picture is microsword.  I stand by my statement! 

iMarkup_20230125_070851.jpg

20230125_070333.jpg

Growth habit does look more like microsword.  I’ve just not noticed those fine, pale cross lines in anything except Val.  🤷🏻‍♀️ We need a tie-breaker.  😆 @Seattle_Aquarist Can you please give us your opinion?

On 1/25/2023 at 7:34 AM, Odd Duck said:

Growth habit does look more like microsword.  I’ve just not noticed those fine, pale cross lines in anything except Val.  🤷🏻‍♀️ We need a tie-breaker.  😆 @Seattle_Aquarist Can you please give us your opinion?

🤣🤣🤣🤣 I'm going by a 1000 foot view, microsword bends over early in its growth, where as Val grows straight up in its early stages then bends when it's more mature. In the original picture a case could be made that the bigger plants in the corners of the tank are Val, but them smaller plants are definitely some type of dwarf chain sword, dwarf Sagittaria, micro sword, ect. 

Edited by JoeQ

On 1/25/2023 at 6:44 AM, JoeQ said:

In the original picture a case could be made that the bigger plants in the corners of the tank are Val, but them smaller plants are definitely some type of dwarf chain sword, dwarf Sagittaria, micro sword, ect. 

Ooh, I think this may be it. Looking at the base of the circled plants, they do not appear to be growing from the substrate in the same way.

721191083_Untitleddesign.jpg.9feb464cf5bdfd50c3c2ee51cfb5b8c2.jpg

On 1/25/2023 at 6:44 AM, JoeQ said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣 I'm going by a 1000 foot view, microsword bends over early in its growth, where as Val grows straight up in its early stages then bends when it's more mature. In the original picture a case could be made that the bigger plants in the corners of the tank are Val, but them smaller plants are definitely some type of dwarf chain sword, dwarf Sagittaria, micro sword, ect. 

That’s why I’m confused.  Growth form definitely looks more like a dwarf, chaining type sword.  I haven’t grown enough of the different dwarf chain type swords to know if they get those little cross lines.  That’s why I was wondering about that.  I’m definitely not enough of an expert in this area to say.  But I’m still curious if the dwarf, chaining species get those cross lines like Vals do.

On 1/26/2023 at 1:42 PM, Odd Duck said:

That’s why I’m confused.  Growth form definitely looks more like a dwarf, chaining type sword.  I haven’t grown enough of the different dwarf chain type swords to know if they get those little cross lines.  That’s why I was wondering about that.  I’m definitely not enough of an expert in this area to say.  But I’m still curious if the dwarf, chaining species get those cross lines like Vals do.

I'm still not sure about the cross lines you mean  My main urge is to pull the plant in the front left corner to see if it links to the smaller plants up front or to the plants in the back! 🤣

• Like 1

On 1/26/2023 at 2:02 PM, JoeQ said:

I'm still not sure about the cross lines you mean  My main urge is to pull the plant in the front left corner to see if it links to the smaller plants up front or to the plants in the back! 🤣

That’s the one that looks the most like Val to me.  The slightly irregular, pale lines that go across the leaves vs the veins that run the length of the leaves.  Most noticeable on this leaf but also present in other leaves on this plant.  I don’t really see them on other plants in this pic and they also grow more like chain swords.

Here, I did a bad edit to point out the “lines” I see that make me think Val is on the list of potentials (even if it’s only for this plant).  [edit to add: And maybe the plant on the far right, too.]

E80E5DBD-E21D-4F66-9D06-B97DB2453003.jpeg

Edited by Odd Duck