White spot with hairs on Betta fin

Catherine Whale

Hello everybody~

Does anyone have any ideas as to what this white thing is on my Betta's ventral fin? I have him in a 10 gallon planted tank with bladder snails. His behavior seems normal. I've had him for about 4 months. This is actually my first fish. I tried to research what this growth could be, but nothing I found seems to look like that. I was hoping someone with more experience could have an answer.

Water ParametersIMG_20201031_114831139.jpg.a6f2ae114e09a0df472d6aa461c9cbd3.jpg

PH-8.2

Nitrate-5

Nitrite-0

Ammonia-0

GH-100

KH-160

Tetra Test Strips

Thank you~

• Like 1

Hey Catherine, welcome to the forum! Beautiful fish!

I’m not an expert but my best guess about that spot is that it’s a bit of algae growing on a wound. I had a pigmy cory that had white algae growing all over one fin one day. I set up a quarantine tank for him but the next day when I went to move him, his fin was clear! So if you just noticed this spot, I’d wait a day or two and see if it gets worse or if it clears up. In the meantime it might be good to pick up some fungus meds just in case though. 

Actually, based on the video I’m more worried about the fact that your betta is swimming kind of sideways and doesn’t seem to be able to stay upright. I’m also concerned about the lump on the back half of his body—I don’t know what it is but it doesn’t seem normal. Maybe someone else can chime in about that. Has it been there a long time?

Also a question about your tank: what‘s the temperature?

Thanks for the reply Hobbit!

Do you recommend Ich-X for the fungus?  Here is a picture of DATA shortly after I got him. I think he's always had that weird lump. I think he was just being derpy when he was swimming away in the video. I haven't noticed any problems with him staying upright. There isn't a chance it would be some kind of anchor worm on him? That was the only theory I had innitially. I've never heard of algae growing on a wound before. I'm glad I found this forum there's a lot of knologable people on here. The temperatue of my tank is 83 degrees.

IMG_20200712_232554467.jpg

• Like 1

Update:

The spot appears to have gone away. I ordered some meds from Cory for any future problems. I think you were right hobbit and I appreciate your insight. I'm not sure if the bump on his back is anything to be worried about or not but as of now everything seems to be okay. I'll update if anything changes.

Congrats on your first fish! Betta is a good choice. They have so much personality. My vote from what I can see is fungus or infection of sorts. I feel like I've heard somewhere ich-x works for that, but you would want to research that more. Maracyn is an antibiotic that is intended to treat fungus and infections. Keep us updated!

Well if he’s always had that lump, that makes me feel better about it. Maybe it’s just normal for him! And I’m glad he’s not having any other swimming issues.

Anchor worm is probably possible but I don’t have any experience with it myself so I’m not sure. I do think Ich-X would work on a fungusy wound though, if it gets worse. In the meantime I’m glad it looks better and I’m glad I could help! Do keep us updated if you think of it. 🙂