Anubias in a high tech setting?

Shadow_Arbor

I'm putting together a nano high tech tank soon, and one of my main plant choices might be anubias depending on the consensus of this discussion...

The tank is a shallow tank (26cm tall) and is going to have a very powerful light, injected CO2 and an aquasoil substrate for growing and propagating rooted high tech plants. I plan on aquascaping the tank, using spider wood. On the said spider wood I want to grow three different species of Anubias, Nana, Nana petite, and Barteri. These ideally will cover much of the root base leaving only the thinner roots exposed.

In my experience Anubias has grown best in low light setups with little fertilization. In higher light set ups they get covered in algae. Anyone have different experience or any tips?

I have anubia in a high tank but not a nano. I have a 30 in tall tank, 8x54w T5 light, and injected CO2. The anubia on rocks at the bottom. With the smaller water volume of nano tanks imbalances in the water happen a lot faster. I'd start slow with a short photo period, run the CO2, monitor nitrates so you don't get an algae outbreak. Crank the light and co2 once the bioload is established with fish and other inhabitants. Algae is always going to grow if you don't find the balance of light, CO2, fertilizers etc. 

20200628_183552.jpg

1 hour ago, MickS77 said:

I have anubia in a high tank but not a nano. I have a 30 in tall tank, 8x54w T5 light, and injected CO2. The anubia on rocks at the bottom. With the smaller water volume of nano tanks imbalances in the water happen a lot faster. I'd start slow with a short photo period, run the CO2, monitor nitrates so you don't get an algae outbreak. Crank the light and co2 once the bioload is established with fish and other inhabitants. Algae is always going to grow if you don't find the balance of light, CO2, fertilizers etc. 

20200628_183552.jpg

I agree, it's definitely all about balance, the question is what kind of balance.

Since I'll be using an aquasoil I'm not worried about the root feeders. As a result I'm considering having a relatively low nutrient load in the water column. I believe, that in theory, this should starve out the algae as the anubias and root feeders will use up the little nutrients in the water but the high tech root feeders should have enough nutrients in the substrate.

• Like 1

• Administrators

@Shadow_Arbor I've had no problems growing anubias in a high tech setup and your aquascape sounds exactly like mine lol. Spider wood ftw! I would recommend to definitely keep ferts in the water column though. Since you'll be injecting CO2 and using a powerful light, you'll also need to add plenty of fertilizer to maintain balance of all three. If not, plant health could suffer and you risk algae growing on weak plants and taking advantage. That's just my experience though, more fertilizers = better plant health = less algae. I know many people would disagree, but I've never had an issue. But do keep an eye on your nitrate level. 

Anubias is awesome in high tech scapes, because it can actually grow decently quick and looks nice and clean, requires almost zero maintenance. Keep us updated on how your aquascape is coming along! 

Algae eaters help keep anubias clean too 😉

20200723_224135.jpg.7c9fc5a98aaa4d8cca4af70a39508750.jpg

On 7/24/2020 at 5:53 AM, Lizzie Block said:

@Shadow_Arbor I've had no problems growing anubias in a high tech setup and your aquascape sounds exactly like mine lol. Spider wood ftw! I would recommend to definitely keep ferts in the water column though. Since you'll be injecting CO2 and using a powerful light, you'll also need to add plenty of fertilizer to maintain balance of all three. If not, plant health could suffer and you risk algae growing on weak plants and taking advantage. That's just my experience though, more fertilizers = better plant health = less algae. I know many people would disagree, but I've never had an issue. But do keep an eye on your nitrate level. 

Anubias is awesome in high tech scapes, because it can actually grow decently quick and looks nice and clean, requires almost zero maintenance. Keep us updated on how your aquascape is coming along! 

Algae eaters help keep anubias clean too 😉

20200723_224135.jpg.7c9fc5a98aaa4d8cca4af70a39508750.jpg

Thanks, I'll be giving it a try soon. Spider wood is honestly amazing.

Are there any specific algae eaters youd recommend for nano tanks (30 liter). I'll have Amano shrimp for sure, but I think it might be to small for Oto's, especially with all the Cambarellus about.