New Betta has Strange Spots?

Millie

Another photo; he's doing something I can only describe as excitedly shaking, not consistently shimmying or twitching. It's very random that I'll see him twitch or dart quickly side to side. I'm worried that he's got ich or something I can't see.

20230106_134734.jpg.7a4e80b4e8a8baeb9831b000c449dbbc.jpg

What is your nitrite and pH when you say your water is warm what is the exact temperature as to low a temperature can effect Betta's immune systems and leave them susceptible to secondary infection is he eating ok any rapid breathing hanging near the surface listlessness spitting food out @Millie

Edited by Colu

On 1/7/2023 at 10:32 PM, Colu said:

What is your nitrite and pH when you say your water is warm what is the exact temperature as to low a temperature can effect Betta's immune systems and leave them susceptible to secondary infection is he eating ok any rapid breathing hanging near the surface listlessness spitting food out @Millie

He's eating for sure and is active around the tank, not spitting food out or anything but he does some erratic swimming every now and then. No hanging near the surface or anything 

On 1/8/2023 at 11:16 AM, Millie said:

ammonia and nitrates are all under 0.5;

When you say ammonia under 0.5 if theirs any ammonia even 0.2 it what could be irritating him causing erratic swimming pattern if your using test strips and they only test to 0.5 I would get an API liquid test kit for ammonia you want ammonia nitrite to be zero and nitrate be around 20 ppm

Edited by Colu

Nitrate levels should be under 20 ppm, I've been using the test strips which is why I say my water parameters are fine, there's no ammonia or nitrates in the water, the test strips are coming back well but the fish is still behaving erratically.

On 1/8/2023 at 12:52 PM, Millie said:

Nitrate levels should be under 20 ppm, I've been using the test strips which is why I say my water parameters are fine, there's no ammonia or nitrates in the water, the test strips are coming back well but the fish is still behaving erratically.

If you have live plants you want nitrates around 20 ppm as your plants will adsorb them  test strips are ok they are less accurate I would always  double check with a liquid test kit for ammonia you could add a  Small amount of aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 5 gallons at that level it shouldn't harm your plants and will add essential electrolytes and aid Gill function the color change on his back can be caused by ammonia burn or just natural color change he could have had ammonia burn at the shop you got him from water quality can causes erratic swimming pattern or behavior that why I recommended getting a liquid test kit for ammonia 

Edited by Colu