More fish, fewer fish...the mental debate.

PineSong

It's dangerous for me to look back at old photos of my tanks.

I can remember being totally swamped by platy babies. I was very relieved to sell and give away dozens of them and have fewer than ten in each tank. Then I see this photo in my old pics and .... I want more blue platy babies! And also the orange ones are nice...

image.jpeg.0385e9d6208a4e986e43c1fb9a224dd0.jpeg

IMG_6608.jpg.4cc1e4af9814cfae5d9e2c2b73810278.jpg

Likewise with my guppies--I'm barely over the trauma of finding boy guppies in my girl guppy tank and I'm looking longingly at photos from when I was knee deep in guppies and thinking "aww a few more guppies won't be so bad..." WRONG!

I have zero room for more fish but spent an hour looking at livebearers on Aquabid tonight. I guess I better get a second job so I don't have so much free time!

• Like 1

This… is what’s keeping me from having live bearers. What would I do with all the babies? There aren’t any local clubs here, the nearest LFS is an hour away and they don’t really want people to bring in guppies, mollies and platys. Oh… I’ll just have to live vicariously through others who keep them and continue to look longingly at them as I pass by their tanks at the Big Box pet store.

• Like 2

On 1/7/2023 at 8:00 AM, FLFishChik said:

What would I do with all the babies

You could sell them on FB Marketplace. You said you had no local clubs but are there clubs in your state? There may be others in your area that want to buy or sell. Mine uses the Band app and there's always fish for sale or trade or free. It's all abuzz these days due to Winter Swap coming up at the end of the month. Do you have a community app such as Next Door? I can always find something aquatic on there as well. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/6/2023 at 7:18 PM, PineSong said:

It's dangerous for me to look back at old photos of my tanks.

I can remember being totally swamped by platy babies. I was very relieved to sell and give away dozens of them and have fewer than ten in each tank. Then I see this photo in my old pics and .... I want more blue platy babies! And also the orange ones are nice...

image.jpeg.0385e9d6208a4e986e43c1fb9a224dd0.jpeg

IMG_6608.jpg.4cc1e4af9814cfae5d9e2c2b73810278.jpg

Likewise with my guppies--I'm barely over the trauma of finding boy guppies in my girl guppy tank and I'm looking longingly at photos from when I was knee deep in guppies and thinking "aww a few more guppies won't be so bad..." WRONG!

I have zero room for more fish but spent an hour looking at livebearers on Aquabid tonight. I guess I better get a second job so I don't have so much free time!

I appreaciated the proper word choice of fewer fish instead of less fish.

At least livebearers are easier to rehome than some other prolific breeders

• Thanks 1