Ever mix flake food with gelatin?

Torbay

I ordered some fish foods online and clicked too fast. Got a large can of Fluval Bug Bites flake when I meant to get granules. I'm thinking of crushing the flakes into a powder and add gelatin to make a gel for my fancy goldfish. Has anyone does this before? I can experiment, but if someone's already done this successfully and knows the ratio of powdered flake-to-gelatin-to-hot water, then no reason for me to re-invent the wheel.  Or create a blobby mess....I'm not a good cook!

I've been making Snello but it has baby food in it...the recipe I use has 2 jars of baby food to one packet of unflavored gelatin, and all the mix-ins (I put powdered calcium and fish flakes). Heat baby food, slowly stir in the gelatin to keep it from clumping. Once gelatin is dissolved add mix-ins, and pour into a flat dish. Refrigerate and cut into cubes of appropriate size once gelled. 

Edited by JJenna
for clarity
  • Like 1

On 1/2/2023 at 3:48 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

I forget who, but someone around here is pretty awesome with some gel and some fish food.  @Guppysnail help us out!

This is actually a @Chick-In-Of-TheSea thing. I have done gelatin with all manner of veggies and food before but I’m old and lazy now so nope 🤣

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Haha 2

Thanks! I do make Repashy gel for my fish - healthy and easy!  I don't like feeding flakes. Some of it settles into nooks and crannies to break, down and seems like a waste. I'll review some more gel recipes and experiment with gelatin.

• Like 1