Giant Platy! Freak of nature or just big boned?

PaigeIs

I have a community tank that includes a bunch of platys.  Of course they breed like crazy so I've seen dozens of them through the life cycle from fry to breeding adult.  One of them is a GIANT.  She's the only fish left from my original tank setup, and I'd never get rid of her, but she's a monster.  She's at least twice as big as the next largest adult in the tank.  (BTW, her name is Rocket)  I always look at the platy tank when I go to a fish store, and I've never seen another one that is this big.  I don't think she's been exposed to gamma rays, but I did buy her from a BBS.

Can anyone tell me if she is some specific of giant platy species? 

Note, in the image, the platy next to her is almost a year old.

1044829291_rocket.jpg.f4e770337e5cc9009abe2cda6b1f7428.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/1/2023 at 12:16 AM, smm333 said:

That's interesting. I have 5 platies and 2 are the same coloring as the one you show. One of them is much bigger than all the others. When I bought them I thought maybe she was pregnant, but nope. She's just really big! 

That makes me feel better.  Thanks!  She was a juvenile when I bought her.   

On 12/31/2022 at 10:20 PM, Ninjoma said:

I know platy can crossbreed with swordtails. Could she be a swordtail or a hybrid swordtail? 

Anything is possible (not ruling out gamma rays). That said, she is the grandmother of several generations of platies, and none of them have manifested the distinctive swordtail.

On 1/1/2023 at 12:52 AM, Cinnebuns said:

Is it possible she's sick? Almost looks like she might be. 

She's fine.  She looks kind of messed up ever since she got stuck in a feeding clip (see GIANT platy) I use to feed the otos.  She healed fully but was left with a somewhat frazzled appearance.  She does not demonstrate any behaviors that make me think she is ill.  First, she'd been like that for a couple of years. Second, she eats, interacts, etc.  normally. No hiding, flashing, resting on the bottom.   

• Like 1

On 1/1/2023 at 12:30 PM, Aiden Carter said:

could it be gigantism? dwarfism/ gigantism happens in humans i dont see why it cant happen in fish 

Possible, but wouldn't I see some evidence of the mutation in subsequent generations?  Still leaning toward the gamma theory.