Lighting suggestions

Novabound

Hi, i am in need of guidance for lighting suggestions. I feel like no matter how much i read, it's just overwhelming to try and come to a sound conclusion.

When i upgraded my light from the light my tank came with, i got a fluval plant 2.0, and it feels like a week after they were discontinued for the 3.0. I got the 48" for my 75 gallon which is 21" tall.

The tank is heavily planted and has nice algae growth on the sides for otos and snails. I've noticed stem plants and tall plants do decently well, but anything that stays low does not do so well. I desperately want a carpet of any kind but everything has just melted. The only carpeting plant that hasn't died is a ton of dwarf sag that i bought. However, they don't really propagate. They don't get bigger, make runners, or die. They just exist. I do plant root tabs near them and put ferts in the water column, and since shorter plants die, i can only assume my light isnt strong enough to reach them. There is no CO2 diffusion in this tank.

So here's my dilemma. Do i buy a fluval 3.0 and have 2 lights with one that's minimally inferior? Is there that big of a difference between the 2.0 and 3.0 that would merit getting two 3.0s? Or is there a better light for a 21" tall tank that is in a similar price range? Thank you for reading and all input is welcome. Including my tank in case that helps with suggestions. (A bit cloudy from introducing the tall driftwood on the left).

20200720_202304.jpg

3 minutes ago, Cory said:

I don't think the light is your problem. Co2 is usually required for carpet plants, at the very least you'd want to swap away from sand to do a carpet of something. 

Ahhhh walnuts. However, i am relieved to hear that my lighting is sufficient. Replacing the substrate sounds like an incredible pain, so I think I'll look into getting CO2 set up for this tank. Thank you Cory!

• Like 1

I have a decent monte carlo carpet on ada soil with "low" quality Nicrew lights and no CO2. It took a while, but it is rocking along now. I wonder if a light topdress (like 1/4") of fine ADA or Fluval soil near where you want your carpet to grow might not help? It seems like the root system is pretty weak on carpeting plants and they feed right on the surface? Maybe someone has tried that?