Easy green low nitrate

Darax

My tanks have plenty of nitrates. This is making it tricky to use easy green, particularly in my tank with shrimps where removing the existing nitrates with a water change is a risk. I think other companies have a fertilizers for stocked tanks. Is this something that is in the works from aquarium coop? 

• Administrators
On 12/28/2022 at 10:02 AM, Darax said:

My tanks have plenty of nitrates. This is making it tricky to use easy green, particularly in my tank with shrimps where removing the existing nitrates with a water change is a risk. I think other companies have a fertilizers for stocked tanks. Is this something that is in the works from aquarium coop? 

Hi @Darax 

We don't currently plan to make another version of Easy Green, as it can be more difficult for some people, and takes out the "easy" part of knowing which fertilizer to use. In general though, we like to run our tanks up to 50ppm of nitrates. What nitrate levels are you currently seeing in your shrimp tank? We usually are able to achieve balance with plants and fertilizers, as generally there is not that much food going into shrimp tanks compared to the update of nutrients. Sometimes people prefer to run their nitrates really low, which does make it harder to ride that fine line. I hope this helps. 

We recently released an article about nitrate levels and fertilizers, that you may find helpful. Here is the link: https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/nitrate

Thanks @Zenzo, I should say my shrimp tank is a 55 gallon community tank with shrimp. 🙂 if I use easy green after a weekly water change, both of my tanks tend to be just over 50 before a weekly 20%ish water change. I'm still tuning this, but if I don't use easy green I can go at least two weeks in the community tank with shrimp before the nitrates creep up over 50. Doing this does seem to cause some yellowing in my water column feeding plants.

If only I could not feed my fish. 🙂

On 12/28/2022 at 4:04 PM, Patrick_G said:

APT 1 or APT zero or maybe Seachem Flourish are what you’re after. 

I’ve asked Cory about this type of product and he said it’s not entirely out of the question but at the time he wanted to stick with one product to keep it easy. 

Cool, I'll check those out. Thanks! 

(no arguments against keeping it simple, the complexity I brought upon myself 🙂

• Like 2

On 12/28/2022 at 4:34 PM, Darax said:

Thanks @Zenzo, I should say my shrimp tank is a 55 gallon community tank with shrimp. 🙂 if I use easy green after a weekly water change, both of my tanks tend to be just over 50 before a weekly 20%ish water change. I'm still tuning this, but if I don't use easy green I can go at least two weeks in the community tank with shrimp before the nitrates creep up over 50. Doing this does seem to cause some yellowing in my water column feeding plants.

If only I could not feed my fish. 🙂

How much easygreen are you dosing?  the "standard" dose (1ml per 10g, so 5 or 6 pumps for you) ups nitrate by 3ppm.  Upping your water change volume to 26% and adding easy green would be the same as a 20% water change, in terms of nitrates, if you normally sit at 50ppm.