Fluval 407 filter issues

dan12boy

Hey everyone, I did maintenance on my fluval 407 canister filter this past Saturday and when I put it back together and plugged it in, there was a rattling noise being made that was really loud and the flow from the outlet was just stuttering. I then unplugged it and tried to prime it again thinking that might be the issue but it kept making the noise. I did it yet again and this time it stopped making the noise or so I thought. Came home from work the next day to it making noise and since I had work the next morning I didn’t have time to try fixing it so I just unplugged it. On Monday night after work I plugged it in again and still same noise so unplugged it. Today I didn’t have work so I tried figuring out the problem but to no avail. I’ve only had this filter for 7 months now and about 3 months ago I had to order a new impeller and ceramic shaft since the previous one got broken during maintenance. So I don’t see why it’s making the rattling noise. Today I thought I’d gotten it to work since for about 3 minutes it was working perfectly and silently but then the noise began. I’m at a loss since I spent a lot of money on the filter and right now I don’t have the funds to buy another one so I just contacted their support to try to get a refund and just get a hob filter. Any help or advice on how to fix it will be really appreciated. 

I have 8 fluval 07 series. They all make that noise when plugged in and no water in the actual canister. They also sputter until the air is gone. 
The easiest method I found during maintenance is to fill the canister with water before putting the lid on. Make sure the OUTFLOW is also fully submerged so it is not sucking air. Plug it in and drop the flow control valve wide open. Two or three primes usually does it. Occasionally I have to pump a lot more if I stopped it when the water level was not full in the tank.
Hope this helps. lift your lever to stop flow before unplugging it helps a bit. 

On 12/21/2022 at 4:59 PM, Guppysnail said:

Make sure the OUTFLOW is also fully submerged so it is not sucking air. 

That’s so weird because in the fluval video for some reason they said to make sure it’s above water to prime and then back under when you turn it on. I’ll go try your suggestion and let you know if it works, thank you. 

• Like 1

On 12/21/2022 at 5:05 PM, dan12boy said:

That’s so weird because in the fluval video for some reason they said to make sure it’s above water to prime and then back under when you turn it on. I’ll go try your suggestion and let you know if it works, thank you. 

Yeah I watched that a dozen times still frustrated why I could not get it primed. My arm almost fell off pumping 

• Like 1

On 12/21/2022 at 3:12 PM, dan12boy said:

I did what you said but it’s still making the noise and it’s really annoying. I think I’m genuinely over ever using canister filters, too much mechanics

anytime I hear any noise from any filter the first thing I do is unplug it and check the impeller.  Something might not be set in properly or slime or anything and it's rubbing against the impeller shaft / pump housing.

As long as you have water in there, you should be able to prime it.  (I understand both of you mentioned having issues).  One thing I would verify is that in and out on the hoses are correct, try to prime it per their directions.

Hopefully they can help or something above helps fix the issue you're having.

Ironically, I'd love to have a 307 / 407 right now just to see how they are.  Prices are insane.

• 9 months later...

The Solution that most often works on these Fluval filters is when you are installing the impeller and shaft is to leave the shaft just shy of bottoming and let the impeller cover push it down when latching. The rattling occurs because the shaft is not seated properly in the impeller cover. 

• Thanks 1