Tank Lids!?

John Lee

Hello all, because I am converting from a Red Sea reef tank, which is great because it has a really deep width which should be fun for aquascape, but because of the "unique" size I had to make a DIY netted type top for salt. I really would prefer glass or acrylic. Does anyone know of a place that can make custom glass or acrylic lids? Thanks in advance.

Tank Size = 35 1/2"L x 19 1/2"D x 21"T.

I've used poly carbonate sheets to make some custom lids, I believe its a little more expensive than acrylic, but easier to cut yourself, especially if you have tools, but I've used tin snips to cut it, even some heavy duty scissors (though that wasn't easy) and a cheap soldering iron to melt away sections I couldn't cut, and superglued cheap drawer knobs for handles, I believe you could drill small holes for small hinges if you were so inclined but I haven't tried that, I prefer to remove the whole lid than just a section. Otherwise, I agree with nabokovfan87, Lowes or home depot would be your best bet

On 12/20/2022 at 11:02 AM, SugarBassJoe said:

I've used poly carbonate sheets to make some custom lids, I believe its a little more expensive than acrylic, but easier to cut yourself, especially if you have tools, but I've used tin snips to cut it, even some heavy duty scissors (though that wasn't easy) and a cheap soldering iron to melt away sections I couldn't cut, and superglued cheap drawer knobs for handles, I believe you could drill small holes for small hinges if you were so inclined but I haven't tried that, I prefer to remove the whole lid than just a section.

Yeah. They sell plastic sheet cutting kits that work very similarly to glass cutters. It just takes a few more swipes to get a deep enough cut. Definitely go yhr route of lexan, not just the acrylic sheets that will weep and bow.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I wanted to get back on the tank lid I asked you about. I went to Lowes and bought a 1/4 sheet of plexiglass(not cheap). I had them cut it to the size of the tank. I then ordered a jig saw, blade for plexiglass and drill bit for plexiglass. I bought three acrylic stick-on hinges and an acrylic knob handle which is still in the shipping process. I must say, using the measure twice and cut once method, I think it came out pretty good. 

Total cost was about $120 not counting the saw but it is custom to my needs so there is that. Out of the "scrap" from the original sheet, I got enough to cover the 10 gal. quarantine tank. Pictures attached. The lights are set for coral currently and why they are so blue. 

Thanks again.

IMG_1757.jpg

IMG_1758.jpg

• Like 1