New berried shrimp joy and a question

Cinnebuns

As is usual, my shrimp colony is taking its time to get established. I've had a few berried mommas already but 2 died and 1 I didn't see very many babies from. Idk if they just didn't survive or what happened tbh. I saw this girl saddled earlier in the day then in the evening I caught her berried!  For a first day being berried she looks very full!  I have high hopes this one will give me tons of babies!

Now for the question. 

Taking a closer look at my shrimp colony I realized that she may be my only female with 4 other males. I can see a few issues with this. 1.  Will this effect her ability to carry these eggs?  2.  Does this bottle neck my genetics so bad I'm going to have inbreeding issues without getting more females?

• Like 1

Hello,

I'm sorry you've lost some berried females, but I wouldn't assume that the young shrimp all died.  If they were released before the mother died there's a good chance they're in the tank but hiding.  That's very common with young shrimp, especially if there are fish in the tank (I don't know if that's the case with your tank or not).

Now, to answer your other questions, no, I don't think a single female with multiple males will affect her ability to carry the eggs.  For the second part, I'm not enough of a geneticist to give a definitive answer, but adding more females would certainly be a good idea, though you likely don't need to be in a big hurry with it.

• Like 1

On 12/19/2022 at 9:32 AM, JettsPapa said:

Hello,

I'm sorry you've lost some berried females, but I wouldn't assume that the young shrimp all died.  If they were released before the mother died there's a good chance they're in the tank but hiding.  That's very common with young shrimp, especially if there are fish in the tank (I don't know if that's the case with your tank or not).

Now, to answer your other questions, no, I don't think a single female with multiple males will affect her ability to carry the eggs.  For the second part, I'm not enough of a geneticist to give a definitive answer, but adding more females would certainly be a good idea, though you likely don't need to be in a big hurry with it.

The first berried shrimp that died I know the eggs were eaten. I had planned on trying to save the eggs but within an hour they were gone. The only fish in the tank are cory fry.

When I was removing substrate from my shrimp tank,  I let it sit overnight in tank water for a couple days before I put it outside in case there were any stowaways. The teeeeeeny tiny baby shrimp I saw in the bucket a few days later were smaller than an eyelash. 
There’s no way I would’ve seen them if they had been in the tank let alone in a tank with plants or cholla. So you may have some babies yet you don’t know about.

When I removed the last few guppies from my shrimp tank, the visible population exploded overnight. Tiny babies were suddenly willing to sit out in the open.

• Like 1

On 12/18/2022 at 4:32 PM, Cinnebuns said:

Taking a closer look at my shrimp colony I realized that she may be my only female with 4 other males. I can see a few issues with this. 1.  Will this effect her ability to carry these eggs?  2.  Does this bottle neck my genetics so bad I'm going to have inbreeding issues without getting more females?

It does bottle / limit the genetics.  But in general, no it isn't an issue in any other facet.  Maybe someone has the same type and can trade some shrimp with you?

I think raising the shrimplets in a QT tub with repashy powder / bacter AE will give you a much higher hatch rate with these ones until they are a few weeks old. 

On 12/19/2022 at 7:32 AM, JettsPapa said:

I believe goliad farms' blog is a great resource for this one.  I want to say via video or some of their gofundme questions they answered it really well.  He's one of those people I would love to discuss breeding genetics for weeks and learn as much as possible.  Charles is phenomenal and highly skilled in that field.