Need help

I recently purchased the Aquarium Co-Op Multi-Test Strips. Before that, I was using the API test kit. 

I tested my water and the test strip read that I had 50-100 nitrates. I water changed based on these results.

I test again today, about 48 hours later and no feedings, my API reads 0 nitrates but the test strips are still reading 50-100. 

My tank is around 2 years old and planted but lately I’ve had a lot of dying back and algae growth. 

Not sure what to do. 

Are you following the same procedure during the test strip tests?  There is a huge difference in a reading at 1min verses 1m 30s. I suppose dip length could also manipulate test results. One thing you can also do is have a 3rd party (aquarium store) test your water then compare results

I found my problem.

After reading a few more forum posts, I was informed that I haven’t been shaking my API liquid tests correctly and probably not mixing the reagent. Shook the nitrate 1 and 2 bottles added it to my test vial and boom, 160ppm nitrates.

I will perform water changes ~ 50% every 4 days or so. Fish look fine, thank goodness. 

• Like 3

On 12/17/2022 at 11:43 AM, bpowell487 said:

I will perform water changes ~ 50% every 4 days or so. Fish look fine, thank goodness. 

Very good that you got things sorted out.  What a difference that bottle shake makes!

I would opt for changing water every 24-48 hours if possible to get things back on track.  Best of luck.

On 12/19/2022 at 2:44 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

When I was new to the hobby I too did not follow the exact instructions on the nitrate test. Thought I was at 0 for the longest time. Learned that lesson the hard way, as well.

I spent way more time than I really needed to cycling my first tank because if this. "Why don't I have any nitrates? My ammonia and nitrite spikes came and went..." I know better now!

• Like 1