Starting Over

What is your favorite part of having 11 tanks? Collecting? Breeding? Feeding? World building? Bonding with the fish? If you have one tank, you will want to feed your biggest driver, and that is probably important to identify.

Edited by Brandy
I can't spell...
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Brandy said:

What is your favorite part of having 11 tanks? Collecting? Breeding? Feeding? World building? Bonding with the fish? If you have one tank, you will want to feed your biggest driver, and that is probably important to identify.

I guess it would probably be "world building" in the sense of creating an environment comparable to the wild. I really enjoy creating biotope aquariums.

Cool, that is one of my favorite things too. Maybe focus on a certain biotope then, or create a miniature version out of something else?

I remember seeing a "desert" scene using things like khuli loaches for snakes and black shrimp for scorpions--amusing but not very "natural". But the concept is fun if you tried to make a miniature version of a favorite scene with mini fish and mini rocks and twigs and plants to maintain scale. It could be a little jewel box. Things like killi fish or ember tetras or dwarf rainbows.

Alternatively you could go with a pair/few of some super charismatic small fish and make their perfect world. Small fish I like are guppies and Dwarf cichlids, because they notice you when you approach the tank. Of course, there are always betta and pea puffers that like their own domain too, and then no worries about breeding. I have been waffling about the puffers myself. they are sooo cute, and yet they belong on a desk, where you have to be close to see them.

• Thanks 1

I think you could have a sweet Least Killifish setup with a 10 gallon. Bonus that you likely wouldn't need a heater, meaning more room in the tank.  You could also do a fun Endler tank if you wanted more color and action.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Pete said:

I think you could have a sweet Least Killifish setup with a 10 gallon. Bonus that you likely wouldn't need a heater, meaning more room in the tank.  You could also do a fun Endler tank if you wanted more color and action.

Thanks Pete. Least Killifish sound like fun. How easy would they be to find in the Seattle area?

Edited by Augustjd27
Unnecessarily wordy

1 hour ago, Augustjd27 said:

Thanks Pete. Least Killifish sound like fun. How easy would they be to find in the Seattle area?

I would think the Co-Op might have them. The store would be my first choice. @Cory has done videos in the past. You could also try Aquabid or GetGills. Both have them listed right now if you search for "Heterandria formosa"

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

You could add a small powerhead and/or have your filter flow lengthwise along the tank and do a small river tank. tinwini or other small fast flow friendly Danios to enjoy the flow and freshwater gobies or a clutch of rosy loaches for bottom feeding. I have my powerhead on for extra flow about 4 hrs a day, the rest of the time it's just my filter flow along the length. Lots of stone for a natural river bed, with driftwood and vallisnaria caught in a little pocket. Generally these loaches and Danios wouldn't need heat; you would want to really oxygenated the water with flow if your room was keeping them too warm. Keep us up to date, I want to see what you go with!

As a completely different idea, I set up a one species  tank for sparkling gourami s and some amano shrimp. Completely charming, elegant and very interactive with me and each other. And actively hunting through the plants all the time. I may never go without sparkling gouramis again. (I got mine from dans fish at getgills.com).

Edited by Wmarian
Another idea
  • Like 1

Just throwing another idea out there; black water tank with a betta? That way you can satisfy the biotope craving, have a centerpiece that would pop against the tanins, and you get to be creative with botanicals.

• Thanks 1

On 7/31/2020 at 3:58 PM, Wmarian said:

You could add a small powerhead and/or have your filter flow lengthwise along the tank and do a small river tank. tinwini or other small fast flow friendly Danios to enjoy the flow and freshwater gobies or a clutch of rosy loaches for bottom feeding. I have my powerhead on for extra flow about 4 hrs a day, the rest of the time it's just my filter flow along the length. Lots of stone for a natural river bed, with driftwood and vallisnaria caught in a little pocket. Generally these loaches and Danios wouldn't need heat; you would want to really oxygenated the water with flow if your room was keeping them too warm. Keep us up to date, I want to see what you go with!

As a completely different idea, I set up a one species  tank for sparkling gourami s and some amano shrimp. Completely charming, elegant and very interactive with me and each other. And actively hunting through the plants all the time. I may never go without sparkling gouramis again. (I got mine from dans fish at getgills.com).

Thank you so much for the detailed suggestions! I will definitely update this when I get a tank set up. Until then....my fish withdrawal only intensifies...