Plant success/failures

Trying to grow Java Moss for the second time, and its seems its just not happening. I expected melt back, but in two months I'm losing more than I'm growing, even with easy green. Not the only species I've yet to have success with, so I'm a bit curious, are there any plants that anyone seemingly cant grow? and on the flip side, are there plants you seemingly cant kill? My list is as follows:

No luck with:

Java Moss

St. Repens 

Pogostemon Stellatus Octopus

Dwarf Aquarium lily

Tiger Lotus

Most Crypts.

Hygrophila Corymbosa

Success with:

Java Ferns

Amazon Swords

Anubias's

Water Sprite

Anacharis

Banana Plants

Dwarf Sagittaria 

And of course Duckweed (love/hate relationship with that)

couldn't say really, they would melt back and never recover, I use root tabs at the base of all my plants, and generally try to keep the nitrates around 25ppm with easy green, im familliar with the potassium and phosphate deficiencies since its the most common with my java ferns and swords, but the others not so much. The java moss is slowly turning brown and into mulm.

On 12/16/2022 at 12:49 PM, SugarBassJoe said:

Trying to grow Java Moss for the second time, and its seems its just not happening. I expected melt back, but in two months I'm losing more than I'm growing, even with easy green. Not the only species I've yet to have success with, so I'm a bit curious, are there any plants that anyone seemingly cant grow? and on the flip side, are there plants you seemingly cant kill? My list is as follows:

No luck with:

Java Moss

St. Repens 

Pogostemon Stellatus Octopus

Dwarf Aquarium lily

Tiger Lotus

Most Crypts.

Hygrophila Corymbosa

Success with:

Java Ferns

Amazon Swords

Anubias's

Water Sprite

Anacharis

Banana Plants

Dwarf Sagittaria 

And of course Duckweed (love/hate relationship with that)

I'm interesting about your water parameters,  all those you mentioned you were successful wirh (if memory serves me) are all plants that should do well in higher PH.  Also have you tried other fertz besides EZ Green?

straight out of the tap my water has a ph of about 8.0, GH is off the chart with a KH between 40-80 if i remember correctly. As far as my tanks go they generally sit at

Nitrate- 25ppm

Nitrite-0ppm

GH- 300+ppm

KH-40ppm

PH-6.8 (The exceptions being my smaller aquariums, which sit around 7.5 PH)

I am interested in the lower PH in some of them, its the main reason I have to do water changes (not the only reason, but a big one), if not, it consistently creeps down. I use crushed coral to help buffer some of the tanks.

On 12/16/2022 at 3:01 PM, Greenspace said:

I have similar tap water to you and have been using 50% tap and 50% RO water from the start to lower the KH and GH somewhat (I think my KH is actually around 130ppm). I also have similar plant to you and java moss and never had any issues. pH in my tank is around 7.4 with half aquasoil and half gravel.

I used to do the 50/50 split between tap and RO, but have moved away from it. Haven't tried plant substrate yet, i will admit plants are secondary to me, big fan of the cover and extra bit of filtration they provide, them looking good is a happy bonus, that being said i still want them to grow.

My 10 gallon tank grows Java Moss like crazy, and when I chop it down and throw it in other tanks it just dies off. Similarly, 2 of my tanks grow PSO like a weed, but it struggles hard in others. 

Java Ferns simply do not do well in my water, in any tank I’ve tried them in. Which is a shame because I think they look great. 

Gotta love this hobby!

On 12/19/2022 at 12:43 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

My 10 gallon tank grows Java Moss like crazy, and when I chop it down and throw it in other tanks it just dies off. Similarly, 2 of my tanks grow PSO like a weed, but it struggles hard in others. 

Java Ferns simply do not do well in my water, in any tank I’ve tried them in. Which is a shame because I think they look great. 

Gotta love this hobby!

I get it, I can get Amazon swords, anubias's and java ferns growing strong, and I've made so much anacharis and water sprite I have to pay to get rid of it (not literally, figure of speech), but it seems moss is my great white buffalo (or green buffalo in this case).

• Like 1

I've had no luck with java moss or other mosses I've tried in any of my current tanks, although I had moss out the wazoo in the past when I lived in another state with different water, so my first thought was that it was something different about my local water.

But...my current thinking is that other plants I have been successful with were outcompeting it for nutrients--namely swords and duckweed. For space reasons, I removed the amazon swords that I started out with, and then I removed the duckweed just because I was sick of it. Since those removals, I have had a bit of moss growth without having purchased any new moss. I guess tiny fragments that remained in the tank on wood were able to take advantage of the increase in nutrients and are gaining ground.

Another change I made was that I've been dosing extra potassium because some of the plant problems I was having indicated potassium was short, so it could be that nutrient specifically.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1