NYC Fish Room Journal

porcnick

On 2/6/2023 at 3:15 PM, porcnick said:

Last night I went down at midnight to check on things and feed before bed. I noticed that my utility sink was full of dirty water. I plunged it, it didn't budge.... I noticed that an indirect drain line downstream was also backed up... to the level of water in the sink... My MAIN drain line was blocked up... and some sewage had started getting on the floor.

That sucks, dude!  I am so sorry to hear it.  I've been battling a restriction in part of the soil pipe, and getting my kids' bathwater coming up the floor drain (nothing into the tanks, as I have an air break for their drain), but that is nothing like you are dealing with.  Good luck!  I can't even imagine.  Well, I can, but I don't want to.

• 1 year later...

Been way too long since an update.

Thought I'd share a story of an invader... I kept a tank on a low shelf where I tossed excess ramshorn snails into a tank of assassins (never got much assassin breeding... oh well). I spotted... a rat... not a mouse but a full on NYC pizza rat. It dashed away and I lost it. I looked at the lid of the tank were i spotted him. He had fished out a few dozen ramshorns off the surface of the tank and had munched on some escargot. I was at a loss... I called the exterminator but he was a few days out from his regular appointment.

The story ended when a few days later I moved a piece of acrylic that I'd had resting on the rim of a 5 gallon bucket of tank water and found... the culprit... drowned. Yeesh... I've since killed one more rat in a snap trap and located the ingress point for the rats with a motion triggered camera. Basically the masonry along the front of my building needs to be shored up or at least filled in with expanding foam to fill in some cracks.

IMG_4990.jpeg.08e8e940c189122bccda831b27b11fae.jpeg

• Sad 3

On 2/28/2024 at 12:52 PM, porcnick said:

Been way too long since an update.

Thought I'd share a story of an invader... I kept a tank on a low shelf where I tossed excess ramshorn snails into a tank of assassins (never got much assassin breeding... oh well). I spotted... a rat... not a mouse but a full on NYC pizza rat. It dashed away and I lost it. I looked at the lid of the tank were i spotted him. He had fished out a few dozen ramshorns off the surface of the tank and had munched on some escargot. I was at a loss... I called the exterminator but he was a few days out from his regular appointment.

The story ended when a few days later I moved a piece of acrylic that I'd had resting on the rim of a 5 gallon bucket of tank water and found... the culprit... drowned. Yeesh... I've since killed one more rat in a snap trap and located the ingress point for the rats with a motion triggered camera. Basically the masonry along the front of my building needs to be shored up or at least filled in with expanding foam to fill in some cracks.

IMG_4990.jpeg.08e8e940c189122bccda831b27b11fae.jpeg

If ever I needed a surprise emoji reaction this post is it!

• Haha 1