Whirling fish

RandomIowan

Woke up this morning and all fish where fine. Came home and my oldest noticed one of our bronze Cory cats laying on its side partially under a rock. Went to net him and it was clear it had whirling. 

I will be euthanizing the fish:(

I have treated the entire tank with ick x, pimafix and excel-p. Any other recommendations? Never dealt with this.

• Sad 2

Very sorry for your issues and loss.

I looked up whirling disease and it looks like it's specific to salmon and trout species. I don't think the corydoras can contract that, but I could be wrong.

It's a parasite of sorts, no known cure so I would lean towards salt+UV if you're certain that's what you're dealing with.

As far as other possibilities, was it crushed by hardscape or did it run into the glass lid (or wall) and hurt itself?

Common things that might be relevant,

PH, Temp, tank photos, etc.

Are you seeing any issues with the other fish or in the tank?

Edit: watching a video where it mentioned that disease and linking it to a thiaminase issue with the food. (Mussels, etc)

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Thanks 1

No issues with other fish. Possibly bladder infection? When I tried to net em from under the rock the fish literally "torpedoed" across the tank rolling the entire way. Heavy breathing and pale skin upon closer examination along with something weird going on with it's eyes. Just did a 50% ish water change two days ago. I'll have parameters later today. 

Edit: another dead Cory cat:( one danio is acting a bit odd. No quarantine tank up or id remove em before work. 

Edited by RandomIowan

On 12/8/2022 at 12:13 PM, RandomIowan said:

No issues with other fish. Possibly bladder infection? When I tried to net em from under the rock the fish literally "torpedoed" across the tank rolling the entire way. Heavy breathing and pale skin upon closer examination along with something weird going on with it's eyes. Just did a 50% ish water change two days ago. I'll have parameters later today. 

Edit: another dead Cory cat:( one danio is acting a bit odd. No quarantine tank up or id remove em before work. 

With other fish showing symptoms I would check your Water parameters have you added  anything new to the tank recently that could have bought in parasites or disease it's possible your other fish could be having a reaction to the medication adding three medication at once can be extremely stressful to fish the medication can have negative interactions any other symptoms rapid breathing hanging near the surface listlessness sunken belly spitting food white stingy poop color loss

Edited by Colu