Expel P for Quarantine Tank?

Mattlikesfish36

Good morning everyone! I purchased a group of Beckfords Pencilfish yesterday and I am excited to get them into my tank with my pair of apistos once they are through with quarantine. I am debating using the medication trio versus giving extra time to monitor for symptoms without medications. My biggest concern is callamanus worms because they have been a nightmare for me in previous setups. I am not seeing any in my fish now, but is it worth proactively dosing expel p just to be extra safe? Thanks!

On 12/5/2022 at 6:14 AM, Mattlikesfish36 said:

I am debating using the medication trio versus giving extra time to monitor for symptoms without medications. My biggest concern is callamanus worms because they have been a nightmare for me in previous setups. I am not seeing any in my fish now, but is it worth proactively dosing expel p just to be extra safe? Thanks!

Preventatively there is a method to treat for the worms. (both meds) But I recommend doing this following or after treating with the med trio.  If you plant to do this method, I would recommend holding off on paracleanse until you do this treatment.  It does mean a longer QT, but for anything where you're treating internal parasites you want to do so multiple times.

Originally from @Odd Duck

Day 1: Siphon+water change, clean the substrate, black out the tank for 24 hours, dose in Expel-P
Day 2: Siphon + WC, clean the substrate for worms, dose in paracleanse (follow the directions on the box for full treatment)
Note: adding Aquarium salt here is also beneficial.
Day 3-6: finish up paracleanse treatmen (Siphon+WC on day 6)
Day 7: rest.

Repeat this for 2 treatments, 3 minimum if you see any worms.  Odd Duck recommended up to 6 weeks for a severe case.  Normally you're going to want to treat for one week, rest, then continue another round of treatment. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/5/2022 at 9:35 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Preventatively there is a method to treat for the worms. (both meds) But I recommend doing this following or after treating with the med trio.  If you plant to do this method, I would recommend holding off on paracleanse until you do this treatment.  It does mean a longer QT, but for anything where you're treating internal parasites you want to do so multiple times.

Originally from @Odd Duck

Day 1: Siphon+water change, clean the substrate, black out the tank for 24 hours, dose in Expel-P
Day 2: Siphon + WC, clean the substrate for worms, dose in paracleanse (follow the directions on the box for full treatment)
Note: adding Aquarium salt here is also beneficial.
Day 3-6: finish up paracleanse treatmen (Siphon+WC on day 6)
Day 7: rest.

Repeat this for 2 treatments, 3 minimum if you see any worms.  Odd Duck recommended up to 6 weeks for a severe case.  Normally you're going to want to treat for one week, rest, then continue another round of treatment. 

@nabokovfan87thanks for sending that along. Thorough but looks like that will get the job done. Definitely want to do whatever I can to keep my apistos safe

• Like 1