Piston air pump vs diaphragm pumps

Dkshadowwolf

I was just wonder at what point it makes sense to move to a piston air pump? I have a very small "fish room" with six aquariums (four 10 gallons, one 20 long and one 29 gal). The spare room I'm using really doesn't have space for more. I currently have sponge filters on each tank . I currently have a mix of old Whisper 40 (very noise and old)  air pumps and version 1 Co-op air pumps. I am waiting on the version 2 Co-op pumps to replace the (4) Whisper pumps. I'm thinking about adding a second air pump to the 29 , which would give me a total of (7) pumps. Is it worth the expense of moving to a small loop? Would it be to much over kill for such a small set up? I have two other tanks  a nano and a 125 gal ,but they are not in the same room as the others. I would love to have a larger deadicated fish room, but that would only happen if  we move to a large place.

Thanks for any input.

If you're running a large amount of tanks, then it makes sense. Usually the linear piston pumps bottom out at 15-25 taps of air.  So you need around there in order to be able to actually use one without bleeding pressure from some taps.

You likely can be "better off" using a very strong pump and using a metal gang valve.  Something designed for 100+ gallons (tetra pond air pumps is what I use, with 5+ taps)