Betta feeding

smm333

I have a baby betta who wasn't eating the betta pellets very well- even crushed up. I gave him some crushed flake food and he seems to prefer it. Is it ok to just feed him that for now, or is betta food really different in nutrition? I want him to healthy! He's too tiny for a lot of variety, but I will try more things when he's bigger. My adult betta eats nothing but the pellets- his choice, not mine, lol! I tried lots of treats and he is unimpressed. 

On 12/1/2022 at 7:30 PM, Hally M. said:

It depends what the flake food brand is. How old he is as well. Normally live foods are the best way to go for betta fry. Just because the nutritional value is good but it’s also small enough to fit in their tiny mouths. 

Not sure of his age, but he's quite small. I have vinegar eels I could try. Maybe fluval bug bites? Brine shrimp hatchery is just too much for me. 

I worry for young bettas fluval bug bites may still be a big large if he’s unable to ingest crushed pellets. Hikari and some other brands have foods that are almost powdery for young fry. Hikari First Bites is one. Also if you live in the U.S. aquarium coop sells baby brine shrimp in jars so you wouldn’t have to raise them. I get what you mean haha raising brine shrimp is an annoying task. The jarred brine shrimp works great when growing fry!! I would definitely purchase a powdery brand. Vinegar eels would also work. 

If he doesn’t take to the vinegar eels and you have to order an alternative, I’ve found most of my fry actually really enjoy egg yolks in water. you can take a tablespoon of tank water and put a small amount of boiled egg and mix it in till the water is yellow with little tiny particles of egg. I don’t think it provides all the nutrients needed so it shouldn’t be a consistent meal option. Just an alternative for when your little guy won’t take to anything else :)

My method with fry is to make sure they are eating, keep them eating.  I would suggest trying to find some repashy (either soilent green or super green) so there is something on the side of cleaning the stomach out so the betta doesn't get bloated.  You feed the powder by itself, don't do anything special to it.  AWESOME fry food.  I don't think the flakes will do that, you're absolutely fine in my view with exactly what you're doing.

I'm uploading the video now, but I just fed my swordtail fry (1/4" long) some spirulina brine and they were going to town on it.  As long as they eat, that's literally all I worry about at that size.

• Love 1

On 12/2/2022 at 12:16 AM, Hally M. said:

I worry for young bettas fluval bug bites may still be a big large if he’s unable to ingest crushed pellets. Hikari and some other brands have foods that are almost powdery for young fry. Hikari First Bites is one. Also if you live in the U.S. aquarium coop sells baby brine shrimp in jars so you wouldn’t have to raise them. I get what you mean haha raising brine shrimp is an annoying task. The jarred brine shrimp works great when growing fry!! I would definitely purchase a powdery brand. Vinegar eels would also work. 

If he doesn’t take to the vinegar eels and you have to order an alternative, I’ve found most of my fry actually really enjoy egg yolks in water. you can take a tablespoon of tank water and put a small amount of boiled egg and mix it in till the water is yellow with little tiny particles of egg. I don’t think it provides all the nutrients needed so it shouldn’t be a consistent meal option. Just an alternative for when your little guy won’t take to anything else :)

Thanks! He has been ok with the crushed betta pellets if I crush it super fine, but then it sinks pretty fast. I'll look for the dry brine. I'm sure all my other fish would enjoy it as a treat as well!

On 12/2/2022 at 12:38 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

My method with fry is to make sure they are eating, keep them eating.  I would suggest trying to find some repashy (either soilent green or super green) so there is something on the side of cleaning the stomach out so the betta doesn't get bloated.  You feed the powder by itself, don't do anything special to it.  AWESOME fry food.  I don't think the flakes will do that, you're absolutely fine in my view with exactly what you're doing.

I'm uploading the video now, but I just fed my swordtail fry (1/4" long) some spirulina brine and they were going to town on it.  As long as they eat, that's literally all I worry about at that size.

Thank you! He seems to be doing well and eats when I feed him. I have community repashy as well as a fry powder from Your Fish Stuff that I didn't think of trying- I got it for the super tiny fry. I will see if he likes it though!

• Thanks 1

The best food is the one they eat. My Betta did great on bug bites your flake will probably be fine until it is big enough to handle more variety.

Mine was on exclusively bug bites for a year with very occasional bloodworms. She isn't interested in brine shrimp largely just looks confused by them. Now she is in the community tank she gets what she get beat the tetras to.

• Thanks 2