Can the Aquarium Co-Op Air Pump be used for more than one sponge filter?

JenTheDroid

I'm think about switching completely to sponge filters. I already have the pump but I don't know about splitting the air or anything like that, like if it will be enough air. I was going to buy another pump but they are currently sold out. 

I have a 55 gallon and was planning on using two of the 20 gallon (medium) sponge filters if that matters. 

If it is okay, what all do I need? and should I go ahead and buy a second pump when they get more or is one enough?

I have used a co-op air pump to power two sponge filters in a 40 breeder. A 55 is a little deeper but i don't think it will make much of a difference. I used a T splitter and a valve on one line to control how much air went to that sponge, because air is just like water and will go the path of least resistance, so one sponge may get more air flow. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

It can be done when the tanks are shallow or the lines are too restricted. So long runs of airline tubing, multiple check valves  will cause problems. The less restriction, the more likely it'll work. SO hanging the air pump with no check valve, a splitter, you might be able to do 4 5 gallon tanks with a sponge filter with no air stone. use a check valve, a fine air stone and you might struggle to do 1 line into a 55 gallon.

I run multiples with them. It does depend on the setup of course.

On my 29 gal tank I have one co op pump running 2 med sponge filters both with check valves and it works great.

The second setup is one pump running to 2 10gal tanks. One with a small sponge filter and the other running 3 nano sponge filters (2 being double stacked) all with check valves and it works very well.

Just takes a little fine tunning with the gang valves to get the right amount of air to each filter. The 2 10 gallons sit side by side so I do have the minimal amount of air line running to them.