Aqueon tank on Marineland stand - What to do???

Misa

I have a 75 gallon Petsmart (Marineland?) aquarium stand that was holding a 40 gallon breeder. The bottom seal failed on that tank so I purchased a 75 gallon Aqueon (Petco) tank as a replacement. For some unknown reason the tank overhangs either end by 1/8 inch...the stand measures 48 3/4" and the tank is labeled as 48 1/2".

My thought is to cut a piece of 3/4" plywood for the top that is 1/2" longer and wider and screw it down. I could band the edge and paint it black so it still looks nice but I don't know if it would work long term. There is also a slight, just under 1/8" bow in the center of the stand so I think I need to figure a way to brace the center?

Would this work? Am I missing something? Is there a better solution (short of buying a new stand)? Thanks!!!

overhang.jpg

tank.jpg

On 11/29/2022 at 8:55 AM, lefty o said:

thats fine, my only concern would be that the stand is rated to hold a full 75 gallon aquarium.

Yes, it is the 75 gallon Marineland aquarium stand; I just had a 40B on it previously.

Some stands are RIDICULOUSLY tight.  No idea why. 

Overall the stand has really good quality to it.  I see good things with the way the corners are supported well.  I would make sure you add a yoga mat or some other pad to the top before you fill that thing up!

I think you're OK because the corners are supported and the top face doesn't have a massive overhang.  If you're talking more than 1/2" from the leg to the outside of the rim, then I would slightly have concern.  Weight difference on a 40B vs. a 75G is..... 458 vs. 785 lbs. 

Always funny how you can buy a stand from X and then they use 0.125-0.250 inches to make you feel locked into that tank brand....  I couldn't even tell you when / if marineland even has 75G tanks available.

Aqueon: 48.5 x 18.5 x 21.125
Marineland: 48.375 x 18.375 x 21.0

• Like 1