Has anyone trimmed amazon puffer beak?

GingerGraves

My amazon puffer’s beak needs trimming. Has anyone ever done it before? 

I don’t really know what happened. I was feeding him snails along with blood worms and shrimp. But his beak is to the point where I have to try trimming or he could starve. 

Thanks for any help.

Yes I have had to trim mine a few times. It can be really scary the first time. I used two small containers of water. I put a couple drops of clove oil in one, after I put the puffer in it. The first time I did it I only put one drop and waiting for his reaction, then I slowly added more, one drop at a time with enough time between to observe. After that I had more confidence in how many each time. its hard to calculate because water volumes can be different. The I picked him up as soon as he would allow me. I did not want him in the solution too long. I bought a pair if nail clipper for that sole purpose. When done I put him in the clean water. Once he woke back up and was a little feisty again, I put him back in the tank. I also marked the container I user with the clove oil for future reference. That way it would only be used for that purpose. Before I started I watched quite a few you tubes on the subject. I will say, it does not matter how well prepared you think you are, it is still nerve wracking. I wish you the best of luck. By the way, my puffer did well each time. Unfortunately I lost him due to a heater malfunction.

Dan from Get Gills got his Amazon puffers to eat a mix of Repashy's Grub Pie and oyster shells (like the kind you give chickens), and said it did a really good job of keeping their beaks short. I don't know how hard it would be to get them to eat it, but maybe it's worth a try? Trimming their beaks is the reason I've not kept them, though I'd love to have them; way too anxious about beak trimming.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have to attempt a trim this weekend. My Puffer came in with an overgrown beak and now it's time 🤞. @GingerGraves How did yours turn out? 

Mine is pretty small so I am mostly anxious about the clove oil/water ratio. @Hamaquatics I've seen a lot of posts with people using cuticle cutters on theirs, but I wondered if nail trimmers would be better for the size? It seems like it would be easier than small side cutters. I'm glad to see you have used them. 

How big are these teeth? I have had to trim rodent teeth with some really cool little suture scissors, like these: https://www.allheart.com/allheart-4-12-inch-littauer-stitch-scissors/p/ah1510/?s=one%20size&c=&gclid=CjwKCAjw34n5BRA9EiwA2u9k3876MweJ8vz7AxDEsQoVeHIU-rtAySN-BU3-2lQuuIIH-SX9gdTQbhoCrT0QAvD_BwE (found via google search, never ordered from them)

They have one notched blade,  that makes it easy to hook behind a tooth, but I suspect puffer beaks are not as narrow maybe?

On 7/30/2020 at 11:37 AM, Lynze said:

I have to attempt a trim this weekend. My Puffer came in with an overgrown beak and now it's time 🤞. @GingerGraves How did yours turn out? 

Mine is pretty small so I am mostly anxious about the clove oil/water ratio. @Hamaquatics I've seen a lot of posts with people using cuticle cutters on theirs, but I wondered if nail trimmers would be better for the size? It seems like it would be easier than small side cutters. I'm glad to see you have used them. 

Lynze, I finally trimmed my puffer’s teeth today. He did really well. I was freaked out. I just used extra large toe nail clippers. They worked just fine. 
I started with just one drop of clove oil in two cups. I ended up having to add one more drop. 
I have repashy, so I’m going to try Dan’s repashy mix with oyster shells. 
How did your puffer tolerate the beak trim?

He did great! Didnt take long for him to be his feisty self again in the recovery container. I also went with 2 drops/2 cups and it worked well. It went really fast and at the same time felt like it took forever.

I am also going to try Dan's repashy mix and see if that helps and fingers crossed his beak never needs trimmed again, though I'm sure it will. 

@Brandy They are some tiny little chompers, but pretty wide for their mouths. They do kind of remind me of little rodent teeth a bit. This was before. I have seen photos of them being much worse, and pointy but he was struggling to eat some things and was getting to the point where he had to suck bloodworms through his teeth like spaghetti, almost cartoon like. Sounds nasty, but weirdly entertaining to watch. 

20200730_164226.jpg.c89d0577a93648c263e5553ffadb7baa.jpg

And this is Gizmo post trim- now he's chomping snails like a pro, can really tell the difference. He doesn't just carry them around and look at me with sad eyes anymore. 

20200808_214132.jpg.50e7eb8cf4a651acdaa22a9258f7c433.jpg

• Like 4