Question on Japanese trapdoor snails/white wizards

Guppysnail

Question for anyone who has actually bred JTS or WW. Internet is mixed info so I’m asking those who have bred them for any length of time. I have white wizard Filopaludina martensi I’m not able to get babies from since summer. I’m going to guess maybe they breed like JTS. So how often, what temps and food are best?

internet says 1 at a time every month and it says 1 at a time over a week or so once a year and many things in between for both JTS and WW to produce offspring. 

Can you share your experience. I’ve tried every combination of food and lighting I’ve used for other snails and I’ve ranged from 74- now I’m at 79 degrees.  Still no babies. I never have a hard time getting different snail types to breed but these one perplex me. I see minimal breeding activity but no babies. ☹️

I have suspicion that most of the group I bought are older so that may be playing a role. 

Thanks for sharing your own personal experience in actually getting babies from these. 

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Confused 1

I think I did not word my question well. 

what I’m thinking is maybe white wizard snails give birth in the same time frames as JTS. My understanding from the internet is either they have babies one at a time at regular intervals OR a series of offspring one at a time in close succession over a few weeks every nine-10 months. 

Because the info on the internet is so varied about both JTS and white wizards I would like to know from folks who have had them breed how often they actually produce babies and if so what temps are you keeping them to get them to produce babies?

@Cinnebuns ? Did yours have them in close succession or did they appear slowly one at a time? 

Edited by Guppysnail

On 11/29/2022 at 11:07 PM, Guppysnail said:

I think I did not word my question well. 

what I’m thinking is maybe white wizard snails give birth in the same time frames as JTS. My understanding from the internet is either they have babies one at a time at regular intervals OR a series of offspring one at a time in close succession over a few weeks every nine-10 months. 

Because the info on the internet is so varied about both JTS and white wizards I would like to know from folks who have had them breed how often they actually produce babies and if so what temps are you keeping them to get them to produce babies?

@Cinnebuns ? Did yours have them in close succession or did they appear slowly one at a time? 

Well that's hard to 100% answer because I never caught them in the act of giving birth but I'm fairly confident they had them all at once. I would find 1 baby and then the next week hunt down the rest. Usually the number was in the high teens. They also did have them at regular intervals. Every 9 months. Internet says they will have 2-20 at a time every 9 months. My experience is they had 18, 19 and 17 (the 3 batches I've had) every 9 months. 

Edited by Cinnebuns
  • Thanks 1

Oh and to answer, yes, to my understanding WW breed exactly the same as JTS. I believe they are highly related if not in the same family. They may even be able to cross with each other but I'm not confident about that. I think you said you only have 1?  They do require male and female to mate. 

Edited by Cinnebuns
  • Thanks 1

On 11/30/2022 at 2:14 AM, Cinnebuns said:

Oh and to answer, yes, to my understanding WW breed exactly the same as JTS. I believe they are highly related if not in the same family. They may even be able to cross with each other but I'm not confident about that. I think you said you only have 1?  They do require male and female to mate. 

I have a group of 7. I have had them since early summer. One passed away.  Only 2 show a decent amount of shell growth so I think they are older. It was a local seller who listed them as clearance item. 

Thank you for your info. I feel better that it is every 9 months. That means until I have had them for that long I no longer need to fret over why they have not had babies. 

These and the piano snails I got are my first foray into livebearing snails. The piano snails have been very prolific so I was feeling like I was failing to provide the White wizards something. 

On 11/30/2022 at 1:19 AM, Ken Burke said:

My JTDs breed , but I don’t pay attention to it.  I just look into the tanks and poof. They appear.  

Very true and my experience too. It's one of the best parts of it imo. I spot one and that means I get to go on a hunt for a week for the others!

• Like 1