Trimming Jungle Val

DigDug

On 11/23/2022 at 12:32 PM, lefty o said:

im no expert, but ive trimmed mine, and it keeps growing.

Thanks, I was always concerned using it because how tall it got. I like the look of Val, but i dont like when I see it hanging over on top of the water. I didnt think you could trim it down without killing the plant itself.

• Like 1

I have not had any val lately but when I did I vaguely remember the shoots that I trimmed did not regrow, so i started to occasionally trim my longest blades at the base. Leaving the shorter long blades intact while new shoots grew. Once they became too long I'd repeat the process. 

Yea. I cut it periodically and it just keeps growing feet after feet until it is more than 8 feet long. I'd rip the stuff out but my fishes like it too much. There are days i wish cutting it would stunt the growth for a few years but it just keeps on giving.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's interesting how we all have different plants that take over.  For me it's bacopa that took over seemingly overnight.  I forgot I had jungle val because the bacopa out competed it so badly I have to look very closely to find any left.  It beat all of the other plants to the surface of the water, then draped itself across the top stealing all of the light.

Edited by meadeam
  • Like 2