Sick Fish in Photo - High Nitrites

Denied Taco

Hi, I previously posted about my Betta Velma who was in her 5 gallon with her snail buddies (snails were there waiting to be moved to a different tank). Since I ran out of test kits the tank was tested at Petsmart and they said high Nitrites. I was advised to move Velma into a quarantine tank, which I did. Velmas condition is now horrible and has very quickly progressed to body rot. And I don’t know what to do. Some people are saying I should euthanize with clove oil and some say try to help with aquarium salt. I tried the 50% water changes a day for a week and nothing improved. There was never any over feeding because I saw her eat every piece or I removed anything that wasn’t eaten within 5 minutes. The tank she and the snails were in got taken down and completely redone. Although I just started cycling today. My question is, what are my best options? I have her old tank which has bacteria starter and water conditioner in it, with new plants and substrate but it was just setup today. I really don’t think there’s a solution for her as much as it kills me to say. It looks terrible, I’ve never seen anything like it. Her fin rot has gotten to her body now. Which was due to nitrites being high for too long and  I didn’t know. I do my weekly water changes and vacuuming with all of my fish tanks. I hate seeing her in pain, but I don’t want to euthanize her. What should I do? Also for the snails, are they “contagious” if I was to put them in a different tank? Right now they’re in quarantine too. 

6E408944-FE4B-4FFF-9B4C-ED4604AA155D.jpeg

5E167FBD-AD7D-4F89-AE55-D18D3E17244B.jpeg

You snails won't transfer the fin rot to your other tank when fin rot has turned into body it can be difficult to treat the most effective treatment I have found for more severe bacterial infection is kanaplex and Jungle fungus clear fizz tab's containing nitrofurazone following this treatment plan  just increase it get to the point where you think she suffering he's some information on have to ethanize  him with clove oil @Denied TacoIMG_20220714_201545.jpg.458c437a02e3558623af69421f09cdd4.jpgIMG_20220718_005535.jpg.fb79898009d3d442e83e1560163a963a.jpg

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1

Jungle fungus clear fizz tabs you can get on amazon. Meds are so expensive for fish up there. Kanamycin is the active ingredient in kanaplex; see if your local shop has a med that has it as an ingredient maybe?

Have you tried adding aquarium salt? Indian Almond Leaves are antibacterial and add tannins to the water which is good for recovery. What size tank are you keeping her in right now?

I can't really tell for sure, on the second photo is the abdomen opened up?  Was there a sore/abscess and now it's an open wound?  If that is the case I would lean towards euthanizing the fish.  At that point you'd want to also look into cleaning / sanitizing the tank and equipment and starting over with a new cycle. 

There is a few ways to do that, the easiest being just adding a ton of salt and letting it run.

Hopefully we can get a little bit more clarity on what's going on and offer some advice.  Best of luck, I'm sorry for your struggles and what your fish is going through.

Edited by nabokovfan87

On 11/21/2022 at 3:42 AM, Denied Taco said:

@Coludo you know if they sell that in Canada? A lot of medications people say I can’t find here. 

No you can't get kanaplex and Jungle fungus clear fizz tab's in Canada what I would do is aquarium salt 1 table for 1 gallon and do Methylene blue baths and add some Indian almond leaves 1 leaf per gallon as they have antibacterial and antifungal properties 

• Like 1

On 11/20/2022 at 11:32 PM, Minanora said:

Jungle fungus clear fizz tabs you can get on amazon. Meds are so expensive for fish up there. Kanamycin is the active ingredient in kanaplex; see if your local shop has a med that has it as an ingredient maybe?

Have you tried adding aquarium salt? Indian Almond Leaves are antibacterial and add tannins to the water which is good for recovery. What size tank are you keeping her in right now?

I did try Indian almond leaves. I had to move her to a small quarantine tank. I don’t know the measurements or gallons. I’ve checked all my pet shops for medicine they don’t sell any that I can find. I haven’t tried aquarium salt yet

@Coluokay. I know I can get aquarium salt but I’ve never seen methane blue at any store. I know what it is as I’ve seen it in YouTube videos but I’ve never been able to find any. If I order it online, she might not make it by the time I get it. 

On 11/21/2022 at 12:54 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

I can't really tell for sure, on the second photo is the abdomen opened up?  Was there a sore/abscess and now it's an open wound?  If that is the case I would lean towards euthanizing the fish.  At that point you'd want to also look into cleaning / sanitizing the tank and equipment and starting over with a new cycle. 

There is a few ways to do that, the easiest being just adding a ton of salt and letting it run.

Hopefully we can get a little bit more clarity on what's going on and offer some advice.  Best of luck, I'm sorry for your struggles and what your fish is going through.

Yes the second photo is her abdomen completely open. It looks horrible and painful. There was a white patch which I thought was getting better with the Indian almond leaf but when I took her out of the nitrite filled tank into a quarantine tank she seemed to have her scales peel off. Then the next day she has this big open part. It’s all fluffy and red (in one spot) and raw. Not ich because I’ve had that years ago in a different tank. She had no open wounds inside the 5 gallon. I hate seeing animals like this. 

• Sad 3

If you can't get Methylene blue locally you would have to order it online from what your describing with the open wound red and fluffy appearance peeling scales she has a slim chance at  recovering   I think it would be better to humanely euthanize her with clove oil to put her out of pain sorry I couldn't be more helpful

• Sad 2

On 11/21/2022 at 12:23 PM, Colu said:

If you can't get Methylene blue locally you would have to order it online from what your describing with the open wound red and fluffy appearance peeling scales she has a slim chance at  recovering   I think it would be better to humanely euthanize her with clove oil to put her out of pain sorry I couldn't be more helpful

I appreciate your responses. Thank you. I was afraid that might be the end result. 

Try to track down some aquarium salt.  It's generally cheap and used to treat a lot of illnesses.  (things in freshwater tend not to like it and it helps fish fight things off, especially externally, and recover).

It's something Cory mentions a lot on his trips to peru and how some places only use that for a lot of their disease treatments.   If you don't have it on hand, it's one of the things I use regularly.  I highly recommend it!