Wow! That was fast. Summer tub pond froze over.

PineSong

I thought I would have until at least December before I had to think about this pond forming enough ice to be a problem, but lo and behold, it has formed a thick enough ice layer that I could not pull out the bamboo stick I had left in there last time I was looking for the fish.

I'm glad I am running air to the pond so there is a hole in the ice. I ordered a pond de-icer first thing this morning to make sure I can keep an airway open all winter. I'm a tad worried about the fish but trying to trust all the resources that say white clouds and goldfish will be okay. 

576294266_IMG_1745(1).jpg.ea60d27b023af5dbc6790c47defbea2c.jpg

• Like 2

On 11/19/2022 at 9:11 AM, PineSong said:

I thought I would have until at least December before I had to think about this pond forming enough ice to be a problem, but lo and behold, it has formed a thick enough ice layer that I could not pull out the bamboo stick I had left in there last time I was looking for the fish.

I'm glad I am running air to the pond so there is a hole in the ice. I ordered a pond de-icer first thing this morning to make sure I can keep an airway open all winter. I'm a tad worried about the fish but trying to trust all the resources that say white clouds and goldfish will be okay. 

576294266_IMG_1745(1).jpg.ea60d27b023af5dbc6790c47defbea2c.jpg

Where are you/ what is your climate?

On 11/19/2022 at 9:46 AM, Aiden Carter said:

Where are you/ what is your climate?

I'm in central Kentucky, so it's technically "the South" but gardening-wise it's better treated as "the lower midwest" due to the combination of horrible humidity and heat in summer and persistent cold in winter. But usually later in winter!

On 11/19/2022 at 9:27 AM, Levi_Aquatics said:

From what I’ve heard they should do just fine in the cold. I have heard that if you want to keep them a bit warmer you can actually turn the air pump off, so the layers of water don’t mix and it can stay warm at the bottom. 

That makes sense, too; but maybe only after the de-icer arrives. I'd be scared to now because the layer of ice everywhere but the airline zone is pretty thick and there needs to be an area for gas exchange. It's a 110g tub and has only 1 goldfish and 4 white cloud minnows in it, so I am guessing it would take some time for them to run out of oxygen but I don't want to take any chances.

• Like 2

On 11/19/2022 at 9:57 AM, PineSong said:

I'm in central Kentucky, so it's technically "the South" but gardening-wise it's better treated as "the lower midwest" due to the combination of horrible humidity and heat in summer and persistent cold in winter. But usually later in winter!

I mean I’m sure people have done it in colder climates, but the most important part is if you feel comfortable doing it

• Like 1

On 11/19/2022 at 9:57 AM, PineSong said:

That makes sense, too; but maybe only after the de-icer arrives. I'd be scared to now because the layer of ice everywhere but the airline zone is pretty thick and there needs to be an area for gas exchange. It's a 110g tub and has only 1 goldfish and 4 white cloud minnows in it, so I am guessing it would take some time for them to run out of oxygen but I don't want to take any chances.

That’s what I would suggest. You’ll be able to have open water for gas exchange and also keep the fish warmer. I doubt you would have problems with oxygen with only a few fish in there. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/19/2022 at 2:17 PM, TeeJay said:

Next year I was thinking of setting up a small tub oont in my apartment patio. But I will need a solar power air pump since I don't have an exterior plug to run one. Anyone have suggestions on one that's fairly reliable without breaking the bank?

I don’t have any. You might check Ted Coletti’s Tub Pond Handbook; he has good recommendations of products in general. 

• Thanks 1