Full Tank Symptoms

Cinnebuns

20 gallon tall 

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 10

Species:  female guppies and forktail blue-eyed rainbow fish 

I suspect internal parasites. 

Symptoms:  Red gills, thin fish including one that was showing signs of pregnancy before, one incident of white strigy poop. 

Other species in tank that don't seem effected:  mystery snails, newborn Japanese trapdoor snails, nerite snails

Meds on hand:  general cure, paracleanse, and aquarium salt. 

I recently got in some new nerite snails. I was busy with life stress and plopped them in without quarentining. That is a possible source of the issue. 

I will also add a few other factors to consider. 

A few months ago I did treat a different tank with paracleanse. This caused a massive crash that caused lots of issues. I'm not against using it again, and this is a smaller tank with less fish to deal with, but it's a consideration. 

Another thing I'm thinking of is the 29 gallon. It sits RIGHT next to it. PLUS the same shipment of snails some went into each tank. Now, they were all from different bags so it's possible it's just in the one tank. But it's still something to consider MAYBE treating both tanks?  Or just putting the 29 under close observation?

@Colu ideas?

20221116_034640.jpg

Edited by Cinnebuns

IFirst one I follow in this video used to look very pregnant. Now she's skinny. Then it shows the bows red gills

This is my big momma sporting red gills and white stringy poop 

I decided I'm too worried to wait for an answer before doing something so I'm dosing some aquarium salt. Taking jts and mystery snails out for this. 

On 11/16/2022 at 10:35 AM, Cinnebuns said:

I don't think this is needed but just for full info I found I also have a bottle of maracyn oxy on hand. 

It could be a parasitic infection with red Gill's weight loss have you notice any rapid breathing hanging near the surface listlessness spitting food out flashing if so I would treat with paracleanse or general cure in food feeding a small amount twice a day for up to 21 days IMG_20220714_201252.jpg.61813b09da6c13755ffde3d4501677b8.jpg

Edited by Colu

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/16/2022 at 6:40 PM, Colu said:

It could be a parasitic infection with red Gill's weight loss have you notice any rapid breathing hanging near the surface listlessness spitting food out flashing if so I would treat with paracleanse or general cure in food feeding a small amount twice a day for up to 21 days IMG_20220714_201252.jpg.61813b09da6c13755ffde3d4501677b8.jpg

Spoiler

Thanks, I will keep those things in my mind. It is my first time. I'm interested in CV reviews, however, I didn't find any websites with the top ratings, so I should hire their business instead. Do you have any knowledge about the cv knowhow reviews or of a top website that also has excellent ratings? If so, do advise me as well.

Thanks, I will keep those things in my mind.

Edited by RobertVannoy
  • Love 1

On 11/16/2022 at 2:18 AM, Cinnebuns said:

I decided I'm too worried to wait for an answer before doing something so I'm dosing some aquarium salt. Taking jts and mystery snails out for this.

It's definitely concerning given the shape of the poop and other issues. I would treat what you can with paracleanse for 2-3 weeks at minimum.  I think it's 5 days on, 2 days rest, but whatever the directions are on the box.  You could have them in the substrate and all that, but I am unfamiliar with if that is meaningful at all for this situation.

Is there a high risk of contamination from tank to tank with equipment or hands?