Scud breeding

smm333

After trying lots of different types of foods for Magoo the pea puffer, I found a winner- scuds!

I bought a breeding pair and a bunch from a guy on ebay. I now have at least 2 breeding pairs, but I'm not sure if they've had any babies yet. I've heard they breed quickly, and I'm really hoping they will!

They are kind of a pain to catch. I am setting up a larger tank for Magoo. He's currently in a 3 1/2 gallon and will soon be in an almost 15 gallon.

Would it be possible to put a lot of scuds in with him and let them breed in the tank? Would he hunt them all, destroying his food supply, or just eat when hungry?  I have only been able to find them through ebay, so I am hoping to breed a consistent supply.

20221112_185700.jpg

Edited by smm333
Add photo

On 11/12/2022 at 7:06 PM, Expectorating_Aubergine said:

If they have lots of places to hide, the fish won't get them all. If you have an hob or ug filter, they will populate the inside. I've had the best luck by giving them leaf litter and fish food in excess. They will quickly populate the tank. Beware that if they get hungry, any plant in there will become lunch.

I will get a HOB filter if that's a good breeding place for them! Leaf litter too. Thanks for the reply! I have heard pea puffers will kill all the snails in a tank just because. I really don't want them to just be a fun hunt for him and I end up having to buy more!

You’ll be better off building up your scud population in a separate container, then once you have a lot, add a bunch at night after Magoo has gone to “bed” for the night. That will give the scuds the best chance to hide and start colonizing.  Keep some back in a culture jar or tank to serve as a steady supply.  Any that escape initial feeding will add to the colony.  I tried adding a bunch to my 29 gallon along with snail colonies of 4 species.  The peas slowly decimated the snail and scud populations despite regular feedings from separate culture tanks plus night time additions to the population.  Moss cultures will also help provide more hiding places for scuds and snails.  Bladder and ramshorn snails are the favorite for mine, along with scuds, blackworms, and whiteworms.  Grindal worms are slightly less favored but still eaten with decent gusto.

On 11/12/2022 at 9:23 PM, Odd Duck said:

You’ll be better off building up your scud population in a separate container, then once you have a lot, add a bunch at night after Magoo has gone to “bed” for the night. That will give the scuds the best chance to hide and start colonizing.  Keep some back in a culture jar or tank to serve as a steady supply.  Any that escape initial feeding will add to the colony.  I tried adding a bunch to my 29 gallon along with snail colonies of 4 species.  The peas slowly decimated the snail and scud populations despite regular feedings from separate culture tanks plus night time additions to the population.  Moss cultures will also help provide more hiding places for scuds and snails.  Bladder and ramshorn snails are the favorite for mine, along with scuds, blackworms, and whiteworms.  Grindal worms are slightly less favored but still eaten with decent gusto.

Magoo is super tiny, and I haven't seen him eat snails. He did eat snail eggs on a leaf. I have given him vinegar eels and microworms. He does dart around so I assume he eats them- unfortunately he doesn't want me watching him, lol. So I tried scuds and he seems to LOVE hunting them. I think I'll put a bunch on and keep the 2 breeding pairs separate as a backup colony.