12 Gallon Long Community tank - Endlers + Cherry Shrimp + ???

OakenGoby

This 12 gallon long has been setup for about 3 months now.  There are a handful of Cherry Shrimp and 15-20 male Endlers (true and hybrid).  The tank is approximately 36"x9"x"9", so long, narrow, and shallow.  The Endlers are great and are non-stop all over the aquarium, but I need something else and I'm not sure what.  I like the idea of 6 Otos, maybe some Corys, and then a centerpiece fish.  I think that should round out the tank nicely. For the centerpiece fish, I was considering a Honey Gourami (sketchy with the shrimp), Scarlet Badis (probably too small for a centerpiece), Plakat Betta, or ???  Another alternative would be a small group of rainbowfish.  As for what I and my family like, we want color and/or personality - a wet pet type fish would be awesome.  

I'm open to any and all suggestions on how to finish stocking this aquarium.  

Parameters:

pH - 7.2-7.4

gH - 10-12

kH - 5-6

Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate: 0 per Aquarium Co-op Test Strips

And here's a picture with about 20 Endlers.  As you can see (or not see), I feel like we need a few more fish.

A1916646-2B2F-4F4B-8D28-18DC476F0E59.jpeg.474844652b91805cb5f8614759b24f1f.jpeg

• Like 3

Firstly, beautiful tank. You will get bombarded with people who will recommend Cory but I will be the lone ranger when it comes to saying Otos are great little fish to have in a tank like yours. 6 Vittatus types are small and will have almost no effect on your bioload. They are wild caught so I would not put them in without a good quarantine period. 

You did not indicate though what your temperature is, that may make a difference when choosing a centerpiece fish- especially when you mention Betta- they should be kept in a tank that is 80-82 degrees to live optimally. 

I would also like to add I have a tank with Endlers and Guppies as a group centerpiece and that tank works well. It wasn't until recently I added a Betta but she blends in so well with the others she's almost just part of the original centerpiece group 😄

• Like 2

On 11/8/2022 at 2:45 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Firstly, beautiful tank. You will get bombarded with people who will recommend Cory but I will be the lone ranger when it comes to saying Otos are great little fish to have in a tank like yours. 6 Vittatus types are small and will have almost no effect on your bioload. They are wild caught so I would not put them in without a good quarantine period. 

You did not indicate though what your temperature is, that may make a difference when choosing a centerpiece fish- especially when you mention Betta- they should be kept in a tank that is 80-82 degrees to live optimally. 

I would also like to add I have a tank with Endlers and Guppies as a group centerpiece and that tank works well. It wasn't until recently I added a Betta but she blends in so well with the others she's almost just part of the original centerpiece group 😄

I appreciate the kind words.  I usually run about 78 degrees.  I don't want to go much higher with the shrimp and Endlers.  I'd like to prolong the life of the Endlers.

On 11/8/2022 at 4:37 PM, cavdad45 said:

You may be at capacity with a 12gallon tank, however, if the size was just a typo, then I would look at ember tetras

The size is not a typo.  The footprint of this aquarium opens up a few more opportunities than a traditional, say 10 gallon would.  We are looking at about 324 sq. inches, only 50 shy of a 20 long.   

• Like 1

On 11/8/2022 at 1:01 PM, OakenGoby said:

don't want to go much higher with the shrimp and Endlers

Don't blame you, must consider your current inhabitants. You might be able to add some Celestial Pearl Danios- they aren't centerpiece fish but they are fun lower tank inhabitants, lots of action and the parameters you have are good. They have small bioload. I have 10 in a 4 gallon cube with no parameter issues. It is heavily planted. I also have 70+ Otos in a 20 gallon tall (it has extra filtration and lots of plants) so really it's all about what you're willing to do to keep the tank healthy. Personally I don't think you need a centerpiece, maybe just a few more friends. 

@OakenGobydoes this tank happen to be an Aquatop bookshelf tank?

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 1

On 11/8/2022 at 6:15 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Don't blame you, must consider your current inhabitants. You might be able to add some Celestial Pearl Danios- they aren't centerpiece fish but they are fun lower tank inhabitants, lots of action and the parameters you have are good. They have small bioload. I have 10 in a 4 gallon cube with no parameter issues. It is heavily planted. I also have 70+ Otos in a 20 gallon tall (it has extra filtration and lots of plants) so really it's all about what you're willing to do to keep the tank healthy. Personally I don't think you need a centerpiece, maybe just a few more friends. 

@OakenGobydoes this tank happen to be an Aquatop bookshelf tank?

Similar to the Aquatop bookshelf tank.  It's actually a Mr. Aqua bookshelf tank.  It happens to fit nicely in my living room without overpowering the space.  

• Like 1

On 11/9/2022 at 6:41 AM, OakenGoby said:

This 12 gallon long has been setup for about 3 months now.  There are a handful of Cherry Shrimp and 15-20 male Endlers (true and hybrid).  The tank is approximately 36"x9"x"9", so long, narrow, and shallow.  The Endlers are great and are non-stop all over the aquarium, but I need something else and I'm not sure what.  I like the idea of 6 Otos, maybe some Corys, and then a centerpiece fish.  I think that should round out the tank nicely. For the centerpiece fish, I was considering a Honey Gourami (sketchy with the shrimp), Scarlet Badis (probably too small for a centerpiece), Plakat Betta, or ???  Another alternative would be a small group of rainbowfish.  As for what I and my family like, we want color and/or personality - a wet pet type fish would be awesome.  

I'm open to any and all suggestions on how to finish stocking this aquarium.  

Parameters:

pH - 7.2-7.4

gH - 10-12

kH - 5-6

Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate: 0 per Aquarium Co-op Test Strips

And here's a picture with about 20 Endlers.  As you can see (or not see), I feel like we need a few more fish.

A1916646-2B2F-4F4B-8D28-18DC476F0E59.jpeg.474844652b91805cb5f8614759b24f1f.jpeg

I think a Honey Gourami works well. I had a Honey Gourami for a bit and it didn't mess with the Cherry Shrimp at all. Also a Nerite Snail or a Mystery Snail could help with the algae. I also must say that your tank is looking good! 

On 11/8/2022 at 6:35 PM, anitstuk said:

I think a Honey Gourami works well. I had a Honey Gourami for a bit and it didn't mess with the Cherry Shrimp at all. Also a Nerite Snail or a Mystery Snail could help with the algae. I also must say that your tank is looking good! 

What kind of Gourami is in your avatar?  I had a Powder Blue Dwarf Gourami but he succumbed to Dwarf Gourami Disease.  He was definitely a wet pet - Salami the Gourami.  There are a few Nerite snails in there too.  

Edited by OakenGoby

I went to my LFS and saw 'sunset Honey Gouramis'.. Got one of them and he was fine in quarantine and in the tank for about 2 weeks. I found him floating at the surface the next morning though. Still confused how he died, maybe iridovirus or some internal parasite. I'm thinking about getting a new one sometime soon though!

On 11/8/2022 at 6:41 PM, anitstuk said:

I went to my LFS and saw 'sunset Honey Gouramis'.. Got one of them and he was fine in quarantine and in the tank for about 2 weeks. I found him floating at the surface the next morning though. Still confused how he died, maybe iridovirus or some internal parasite. I'm thinking about getting a new one sometime soon though!

Interesting...I wonder if Sunset Honey and Honey are the same just a different common name.  I've read, although I cannot confirm, that Dwarf Gourami Disease (caused by iridovirus) does not affect Honey Gouramis.  

On 11/9/2022 at 10:56 AM, OakenGoby said:

I've read, although I cannot confirm, that Dwarf Gourami Disease (caused by iridovirus) does not affect Honey Gouramis.  

Oh well you learn something new everyday!

On 11/9/2022 at 10:56 AM, OakenGoby said:

Interesting...I wonder if Sunset Honey and Honey are the same just a different common name.

I went to a pet store recently and saw a plain Honey Gourami which appeared to be larger than the one I had at home. I wonder if my Sunset Honey Gourami was just a runt or if the species is generally smaller.. 

Nice looking tank! I agree with the folks recommending Otos and Honey gourami, they're bold great fish and the Honey gourami  have tons of personality. 

I'd also recommend a Mystery snail or two. They're great little wet pets that do all kinds of wacky stuff like climbing the top of the tank and “sky diving” back down to the bottom and riding around the tank in the filter current while attached to the surface film. If you have kids in the house they're a must have. 

Edited by Patrick_G
  • Like 2

Check out some licorice, sparkling, or chocolate gouramis! Though, the chocolates may get a bit too big for your tank, but the others stay very teeny. Dwarf gouramis are also very colorful and USUALLY pretty peaceful - and I think Cory did a video about them too. Could also always get a colorful female betta, or an imbellis betta, will pretty much make sure you don't have a shrimp explosion too!

I'm still working through this...

Some recent ideas

6 - Pseudomugil luminatus (Red Neon Blue Eye Rainbow)

and

3 - Stiphodon annieae (gobies)

and

3 - Panda Garra

and

Pair- Bolivian Ram or Pair - Fundulopanchax gardneri (Killifish) (or both?)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also looking for suggestions on revitalizing a 12" cube.  It had cherry shrimp, which have now moved to the 12 gallon long.  

Ideas:

6 - Chili Rasboras

and

6 - Neon Green Kubotai Rasbora

Had a rethink about stocking.  Going with a betta as a centerpiece, the current stock of Endlers, and some otos  and/or panda garra for cleanup. 

I have these three betta incoming…1one for this 12 gallon, one for an 8 gallon cube, and one for a 5 gallon all-in-one. The 8 and 5 have been setup for about 2 years. 

75703AD8-DB02-4195-9560-9A49B037A703.jpeg

F70C1353-020B-4682-A7F0-2659B1611614.jpeg

1585A1B0-31EC-48D4-917E-50D2AC36D813.jpeg

Edited by OakenGoby
  • Love 1