A Cautionary Tale

EVoyager31

If anyone saw my BBA post from a day or two ago, you’ll know I spent hours pulling plants, trimming and redoing my 75G planted tank in an attempt to get it under control. In there I had about 35 tiger barbs, 10 HQ Rasboras, 1 Opaline gourami, 3 florida flag fish and a handful of albino cories.

Well, something happened with my C02.. I think I accidentally hit the regulator dial or something while getting after my filter but I woke up to every single fish dead except for the gourami. I was not super attached to these fish but I’m gutted that something like this happened.. especially with all the time I took trying to be careful when I set the C02 up last year. 
Moral of the story: Double check EVERYTHING all the time always. 😕

• Sad 3

On 11/6/2022 at 7:14 PM, ccurtis said:

Oh man, I am sorry to hear this happened. This is what scares me about getting into the high tech tanks. I always feel that I'm not going to adjust the CO2 correctly and kill all the fish. Well lesson learned for the next set up. 

I was feeling really confident after having it for months and months. Helped my plants grow a TON.. was fairly simple to set up.. I got all the gadgets and everything.. just one wrong move on my part.. in future I might try to get a larger cabinet so things aren't on top of each other..

On 11/7/2022 at 5:26 PM, ccurtis said:

I may dabble in the CO2 one day. Watching the coops videos are making me more confident. 

100%. Those videos helped a lot but in my 75G I wasn’t able to dissolve as much with just a in tank diffuser or even an inline diffuser. I ended up getting a GLA reactor that basically premixes the c02 with tank water then it outputs through the filter spray bar.

Sorry to hear you gassed your tank. I’ve never had a situation like that, but I’ve come very close. 

Just some thoughts/questions to avoid future mishaps, do you run your CO2 at night? Reason I ask is because you said when you woke up the tank had been gassed. Do you run your CO2 solenoid on a timer? I used to use a standard rotary timer, but I’ve since moved to a Kasa wifi timer. Also, have you ever considered a CO2 controller, like from Milwaukee? I use one and love it. 

Not trying to beat you up in a crummy situation, again I’m sorry this happened!

On 11/7/2022 at 11:33 PM, RadMax8 said:

Sorry to hear you gassed your tank. I’ve never had a situation like that, but I’ve come very close. 

Just some thoughts/questions to avoid future mishaps, do you run your CO2 at night? Reason I ask is because you said when you woke up the tank had been gassed. Do you run your CO2 solenoid on a timer? I used to use a standard rotary timer, but I’ve since moved to a Kasa wifi timer. Also, have you ever considered a CO2 controller, like from Milwaukee? I use one and love it. 

Not trying to beat you up in a crummy situation, again I’m sorry this happened!

No, I never run it at night.. makes no sense when the light is off. I followed all the "rules", so to speak..did tons of research before starting. Solenoid is on a timer (I just plug into an amazon plug and control it through that).. reason why I didn't catch it is because it was the weekend and I slept in... so I didn't see the fish in distress, which I would have if it was a week day. I think I must have knocked the regulator dial when I was messing with my canister filter.. space under the cabinet is kind of compact at the moment.

After this mishap (and more sensitive fish on the way) I will look into the controller! Thanks for the tip! 🙂 

On 11/7/2022 at 2:26 PM, ccurtis said:

I may dabble in the CO2 one day. Watching the coops videos are making me more confident. 

I definitely encourage you to do that!

@EVoyager31 very sorry for your struggles and losses. That's devastating.  I am a lover of the barb tank myself and I miss my pack of little eating machines. 

I have my CO2 setup on one of the kasa wifi timers.  I definitely recommend it if you don't have one.  Whatever happened, that's just crazy unfortunate and hopefully you recover gracefully from the issues.

On 11/6/2022 at 4:14 PM, ccurtis said:

Oh man, I am sorry to hear this happened. This is what scares me about getting into the high tech tanks. I always feel that I'm not going to adjust the CO2 correctly and kill all the fish. Well lesson learned for the next set up. 

I literally couldn't explain it... I can't seem to dump enough CO2 in my tank.  Who knows.... Maybe my reg is broken.   I definitely encourage you to try it out though. Even if you just do the sodastream method or something.  Pressurized CO2 is so easy! Just an expense up front.

On 11/7/2022 at 8:46 PM, EVoyager31 said:

I think I must have knocked the regulator dial when I was messing with my canister filter.. space under the cabinet is kind of compact at the moment.

I keep the tank outside the tank.  I have seen stands with room for it, but yeah... I am always eyeballing the pressure dials and stuff to check things. 

For the sake of it, about an hour after you do any maintenance... go back and check the tank and make sure you didn't leave anything open that shouldn't be, lids, double check equipment.  IDK how many times I set it and forget it so to speak and walk back into a screaming aquaclear.

.... or a filter I forgot to turn the flow back up on.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2022 at 12:28 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

I definitely encourage you to do that!

@EVoyager31 very sorry for your struggles and losses. That's devastating.  I am a lover of the barb tank myself and I miss my pack of little eating machines. 

I have my CO2 setup on one of the kasa wifi timers.  I definitely recommend it if you don't have one.  Whatever happened, that's just crazy unfortunate and hopefully you recover gracefully from the issues.

I'll be honest-- I was tired of the barbs and was planning on giving them to a LFS for some credit so I could try something new (hoping for a more peaceful, slow moving set up). Terrible mishap though.. definitely not the way I wanted to let them go.. 😞 

• Like 1

On 11/8/2022 at 12:38 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

What were you thinking?  Cooler water tank with white clouds or tetras or?

The opposite actually! I thought I’d try my hand at discus.. I like to live dangerously 😂

I know they are cichlids and can be territorial at times but at the very least they won’t swim quite as fast and they’re beautiful to look at. The cautious side of me will be purchasing small, cheaper ones though and seeing how I fare… once I’ve done proper research that is. 
I thought about throwing a couple hundred neons in the tank and just having a tetra tank.. but I may need to move at the end of next year and the thought of catching them turned me off.. ha! 😝

On 11/7/2022 at 10:05 PM, EVoyager31 said:

The opposite actually! I thought I’d try my hand at discus.. I like to live dangerously 😂

LOL, I don't think that's dangerous at all!  Very beautiful and unique fish. 

On 11/7/2022 at 10:05 PM, EVoyager31 said:

I thought about throwing a couple hundred neons in the tank and just having a tetra tank.. but I may need to move at the end of next year and the thought of catching them turned me off.. ha! 😝

Eh, just get a nice net and they all will follow one another right into it!