Weird stuff in water

It could be a sign of stagnant water or some sort of reaction with decor.  I've seen it moreso on tanks with a filter that isn't working quite right.  I would just inspect the pump and then go ahead and clean the impeller and pre-filter sponge and hopefully everything is ok.

As far as the hob.... if you have ONLY a cartridge in there, this is likely also causing some of that.  It's a film / biofilm and is usually the bacteria and stuff trying to find a place to colonize.  Adding sponge or ceramic media in the HoB might help if that's the case too.

If you have plastic decorations or something like that... it could be a weird reaction and I would try to isolate that out.  If it happens again, turn off the filtration, use a brush / toothbrush to get some of that stuff off the surfaces and then just siphon it out prior to turning back on the flow to the tank. 

• Like 1

@nabokovfan87

I don't have a hob.  I have an aquatop canister filter and a large sponge filter.

Three trays in the canister. The first has coarse filters from aquarium coop. The second has a blue, medium coarse filter that came with the filter and poly-fill fiber.  The 3rd has 2 bags of these ceramic bioballs.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/ceramic-bio-sphere-seaside-aquatics.html

Edited by PerceptivePesce
  • Thanks 1

On 11/1/2022 at 7:18 PM, JoeQ said:

You might want to blow out your lines, awhile back I was getting lots of white floating particles from my out flow. After blowing out the gunk in my lines with a garden hose it solved the issue.

Yeah, the translucent outflow tube has opaque sections.  I bet that's what it was.

• Like 1

On 11/1/2022 at 8:57 PM, PerceptivePesce said:

Yeah, the translucent outflow tube has opaque sections.  I bet that's what it was.

You are lucky that your tubes are clear, mine are black (Fluval 307) and it took me forever to find where my particles were coming from!

• Like 1

On most any can filter just switch the inlet and outlet for a few seconds.  This will back flush the whole can through the inlet side.  It will also clean all the gunk out of the inlet hose.  Obviously put the end of the hose in a bucket...not the tank!  By using a pre-filter and doing the described back flush every 90 days I only clean my cans once a year.  Even then they are not terrible.

Edited by Gwallace
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

On 11/4/2022 at 10:42 AM, SC Fish said:

genuinely looks like pieces of tissue

That ran across my mind when I was initially freaking out, but when I saw the gups eating it, I relaxed.  I scooped out a lot with a net, and scooped a good bit off the sponge filters.  After a couple hours the fish had cleared it all out.  Go go Guppy cleanup crew!

On 11/4/2022 at 12:35 PM, PerceptivePesce said:

That ran across my mind when I was initially freaking out, but when I saw the gups eating it, I relaxed.  I scooped out a lot with a net, and scooped a good bit off the sponge filters.  After a couple hours the fish had cleared it all out.  Go go Guppy cleanup crew!

IMO,  it is flake food that lost its color as it sat in your tubes.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I cleaned my canister filter today, the whole thing, tubes and all.  I saw the same shape junk, like ripped tissue paper, except it was a yellow/green color in my white bathtub.  It had to of been algae in my tubes that sloughed off, inflow and outflow.

I never got a bad algea problem in my tank while cycling, so I guess the new tank algae bloom happened in my canister. 🤷‍♀️