New Fishkeeper

JohnNYC

Hi all. Many years ago I decided get an aquarium. So I went saltwater and corals and failed at fish. I just went too far, too fast. Let me put it this way, I had no basic idea of the nitrogen cycle at all. Over the last few months I started seeing freshwater planted aquariums in my YouTube feed. So recently I got a 20 foot long and also got a 10 gallon quarantine tank. I started a fishes cycle in them. In the 20 long I have gravel and rocks. My plan is to add a few plants after the quarantine period is over, and then some driftwood. I know I could have put in plants right away but wanted to go slow. Tonight I picked up 6 Neon Tetras and put them in the 20, and a German Blue Ram in the 10 for now. The Ram is very shy and is staying behind the sponge filter. The tetras seem curious about the tank, although freaked out when I turned on the tank light. Anyway, hello! I hope I do well with my tanks and have happy fish!

• Like 2

On 10/26/2022 at 10:32 PM, JohnNYC said:

Hi all. Many years ago I decided get an aquarium. So I went saltwater and corals and failed at fish. I just went too far, too fast. Let me put it this way, I had no basic idea of the nitrogen cycle at all. Over the last few months I started seeing freshwater planted aquariums in my YouTube feed. So recently I got a 20 foot long and also got a 10 gallon quarantine tank. I started a fishes cycle in them. In the 20 long I have gravel and rocks. My plan is to add a few plants after the quarantine period is over, and then some driftwood. I know I could have put in plants right away but wanted to go slow. Tonight I picked up 6 Neon Tetras and put them in the 20, and a German Blue Ram in the 10 for now. The Ram is very shy and is staying behind the sponge filter. The tetras seem curious about the tank, although freaked out when I turned on the tank light. Anyway, hello! I hope I do well with my tanks and have happy fish!

That’s really big fish tank.

Wellcome

• Like 2

I feel a bit stupid, not about the typo, lol. I should have researched more. The LFS told me that the GBR and Neon Tetras could live in the same tank. But as I'm reading now Neon Tetras like 72' - 76' and GBR likes 84' - 86'. This could explain why the GBR is so sedate. I will say the Tetras seem happy!