Moina Culture

Zodiak246

On 10/29/2022 at 11:21 PM, CornAndCrawlers said:

How hard is it to harvest them once hatched? 
Would you ever just hatch the eggs directly in the tank you have setup for baby fish?

I have a brine shrimp net to harvest them. You could put them with the fry but It depends of how fast they reproduce compared to them getting eaten. I set up multiple tanks so I have a back up incase one crashes.

On 10/30/2022 at 12:07 AM, Cory said:

I tried those, mine failed. Had 100 gallons of green water. Never saw any daphnia. Not sure where mine went wrong.

Hi Cory, I just want to say I love all your videos and you have inspired me to get into fish keeping.

Do you know if there could have been any hydra or something that might have eaten them? I guess I got lucky now I hope I just dont crash the culture.

I got some moina eggs very similar (though from a guy in Europe on eBay whereas these are from Thailand I believe) and they seem very easy - I have them in a small tank just to feed as an occasional treat so not producing large amounts or anything. The culture crashed at one point and I just left it alone then noticed it recovered and started producing more again. It's slowed down now I think because it's getting colder and I don't have them heated. 

I think you can pretty much feed them straight away but if you're doing the yeast method then only feed a small amount (I've just kept them in a green water type set up and not used yeast). 

From what I understand they are much easier/hardier than daphnia.