Where to start with a plant only tank

Looking to grow my own plants separately from my fishes tank cause he pulls everything up or eats it before it takes good root so I’d like to have a separate 20g (it’s free) for plant growth and wonder what all I need to get it started and have them flourish.

plus my lfs recently caught fire and they don’t know when they’ll be back open and I used to get my plants there.

On 10/17/2022 at 1:03 AM, Novagal62 said:

Looking to grow my own plants separately from my fishes tank cause he pulls everything up or eats it before it takes good root so I’d like to have a separate 20g (it’s free) for plant growth and wonder what all I need to get it started and have them flourish.

plus my lfs recently caught fire and they don’t know when they’ll be back open and I used to get my plants there.

Get some Easy Green and order some plants from Aquarium Co-Op. Start with something easy and fun like a tiger lotus or Scarlet Temple.

Sorry to hear about your LFS😞

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/25/2022 at 1:22 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

I would look into CO2 injection and go that route.

Are there ppm limits to CO2 injection in a tank with no animals? Would cranking it to, say 300 ppm start to get to a point where you're harming the plants or the microbiome? Is that even possible in an unpressurized tank?

On 11/10/2022 at 6:30 PM, Rube_Goldfish said:

Are there ppm limits to CO2 injection in a tank with no animals? Would cranking it to, say 300 ppm start to get to a point where you're harming the plants or the microbiome? Is that even possible in an unpressurized tank?

It might. Not 100% sure to be honest. But if it's just plants, going over 30ppm is no problem. There may be a point of diminishing returns, but it's worth testing!

• Thanks 1