Kuhil loach food

Zzsharks

On 10/15/2022 at 6:06 PM, Zzsharks said:

now I have a 2,000 gallon tank with nothing to do with. Maybe goldfish?

😍I’ve always wanted that amount of space to play with!! Maybe another arowana🙃?

Maybe you could get a MBU PUFFER like the Co-Ops Murphy?

One thing I’ve always wanted to do is add a trio of all the average livebearers you can find at a big box store and just let them breed and occasionally bring in some new blood.

Its you who’s calling the shots here!

Keep us posted on what you end up doing with it!

On 10/15/2022 at 10:55 AM, Zzsharks said:

I arrowana died yesterday from jumping out of her tank I had her for 18 years.RIP

I have keep many fish but never a kuhil loach

kuhli are fairly hearty once they get settled in; they are a soft water fish and temps in the upper 70 low 80 are aggreable. If you get lucky you can find some with interesting patterns like this:

kuhli.jpg.6304c28676c643bdb6a54d6c23d29f3b.jpg

There are also several different species sold as kuhli.... most common are pangio semicincta; pangio kuhlki is nicer looking if you can find them but these days quite rare; pangio merysi are ones i frequently look for - a little larger but not longer. pangio shelfordii are a favorite of mine - they are like mini kuhli - quite small. 

Also they do best on fine sand and under dim or at least shaded light (floating plants or something).

• Love 1

On 10/16/2022 at 12:58 AM, Zzsharks said:

Oscars! wow that would be so cool! Ohhh! A saltwater  tank! 

The possibilities are basically limitless

On 10/15/2022 at 10:38 PM, anewbie said:

kuhli are fairly hearty once they get settled in; they are a soft water fish and temps in the upper 70 low 80 are aggreable. If you get lucky you can find some with interesting patterns like this:

kuhli.jpg.6304c28676c643bdb6a54d6c23d29f3b.jpg

There are also several different species sold as kuhli.... most common are pangio semicincta; pangio kuhlki is nicer looking if you can find them but these days quite rare; pangio merysi are ones i frequently look for - a little larger but not longer. pangio shelfordii are a favorite of mine - they are like mini kuhli - quite small. 

Also they do best on fine sand and under dim or at least shaded light (floating plants or something).

Have you ever managed to breed kuhlis @anewbie?

On 10/15/2022 at 3:38 PM, anewbie said:

I’ve been aware for decades that there are multiple species of “Kuhli loach” but I’ve never been able to find a definitive, reliable guide on how to tell all the species apart that would be possible for the average, or even the advanced aquarist.  Would we be able to reliably tell the difference between P. semicincta vs. kuhlii visually tank side or is that a fin ray count type thing?  I think differentiating that way would be almost impossible without actually catching the kuhli.  Is the semicincta reliable with the partial dark stripes?  Is kuhli reliable with full or nearly full dark stripes that go nearly to the belly?

I’ve seen both myersi and shelfordii (didn’t remember their binomials off the top of my head, so thank you) but I can tell them visually.  P. shelfordii is tiny and their pattern is very “fine” with the lines closer together and more delicate looking, often more complex patterns than just stripes, right?  P. myersi is always very thick and chunky looking to me and seems like they often have breaks in their pale stripes and the dark is usually very broad.  Please correct me if I’m wrong or if there are other ways to tell them apart.  Help me out here if you can.

I find it extremely difficult to tell apart the various solid color Pangios except the gold one, hmm, filinaris? Thank you google.  I did find an older post on another fish forum that spent some time discussing the most common species in the trade which was very helpful.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2022 at 9:02 PM, Odd Duck said:

I’ve been aware for decades that there are multiple species of “Kuhli loach” but I’ve never been able to find a definitive, reliable guide on how to tell all the species apart that would be possible for the average, or even the advanced aquarist.  Would we be able to reliably tell the difference between P. semicincta vs. kuhlii visually tank side or is that a fin ray count type thing?  I think differentiating that way would be almost impossible without actually catching the kuhli.  Is the semicincta reliable with the partial dark stripes?  Is kuhli reliable with full or nearly full dark stripes that go nearly to the belly?

I’ve seen both myersi and shelfordii (didn’t remember their binomials off the top of my head, so thank you) but I can tell them visually.  P. shelfordii is tiny and their pattern is very “fine” with the lines closer together and more delicate looking, often more complex patterns than just stripes, right?  P. myersi is always very thick and chunky looking to me and seems like they often have breaks in their pale stripes and the dark is usually very broad.  Please correct me if I’m wrong or if there are other ways to tell them apart.  Help me out here if you can.

I find it extremely difficult to tell apart the various solid color Pangios except the gold one, hmm, filinaris? Thank you google.  I did find an older post on another fish forum that spent some time discussing the most common species in the trade which was very helpful.

I think semicincta vs kuhlii is fairly easy as the stripes on semicincta don't go all the way down (and they are the most common); kuhlii the stripes do go all the way down to the belly; the p. myersi i've had have solid strips like kuhlii but they do get a lot chunkier as you noted. Another one is p . cuneovirgata which is between pangio kuhlii and pangio shelfordii in size.

For an alternative source you can go to loaches.com (https://www.loaches.com/species-index/species-index) and search for pangio and it will bring up a lot of the species; unfortunately i don't think the site still updated and i believe there are newer species.

Edited by anewbie
  • Like 1