Treating Dropsy with Epsom Salt or Aquarium Salt?

Traumfahrer

What's the main line here?

I'm reading conflicting information on the net. - Some suggest to treat with Aquarium Salt, some with Epsom Salt. Two sources claim that Aquarium Salt instead of Epsom Salt might aggravate the disease without an explanation or source.

I'm also interested in the salt concentrations to treat with and in bathing (in a hospital tank) vs. dipping.

Needless to say that Dropsy should be treated with antibiotics alongside raising salt levels.

Edit:

Adding two very insightful discussion on reddit:

Kinda hoped for more here.

Edited by Traumfahrer

On 10/15/2022 at 4:17 PM, Matilyn said:

I've always used aquarium salt. I usually try to keep a little in my tank water to ward off infection and it seems to do the trick! 

Cheers, so did you specifically treat (successfully) Dropsy with Aquarium Salt or do you just use it in general to prevent disease?

You can use both if am  leaving it in the tank I use aquarium salt to help reduce the fluid buildup I only use Epsom in a bath as it will raise your GH by adding magnesium to your water I would say both are effective at reducing the fluid buildup caused by dropsy 

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/16/2022 at 3:51 AM, Colu said:

I used image's because it's easier to identify a disease if you have some picture for comparison I looked on a lot of different web sites the fish vet.com and   aquarium sciencen.org have some useful information on dropsy @Traumfahrer

I meant why you copied photos of text. You just screenshotted the text of other source?

On 10/19/2022 at 4:58 AM, Traumfahrer said:

Thanks but salt isn't even mentioned once there.

I would imagine because it doesn't work to cure it, but as to why it would make it worse there is probably info out there but not just about dropsy. 

I mean why too much salt would be bad for the fish or possibly make internal infections worse. Hmm, don't know but one could look for studies. 

But at the same time that sentence that salt hurts is probably just wrong. 

Edited by Wrencher_Scott

On 10/19/2022 at 4:08 PM, Wrencher_Scott said:

I mean why too much salt would be bad for the fish or possibly make internal infections worse. Hmm, don't know but one could look for studies.

There definitely are and I read quite some literature about it, about the effects on elevated salt concentration for stressed/ill freshwater fish. For example commercial fish farms increase the salt levels when transporting and handling fish, as that causes less casualties.

Check this discussion where I quoted part of a pubcliation about "Osmoregulation in Fish".

I'm just trying to get something conclusive regarding especially dropsy. Basically all sources say that salt (low concentration) helps reduce the osmotic pressure and fluid excretion. Some do say to use Aquarium Salt, NaCl (or Sea Salt), others say to use Epsom Salt (MgSO₄) and advise against using Aquarium Salt for unkown reasons. That's what I try to understand and get information on.

Edited by Traumfahrer
  • Like 1

On 10/20/2022 at 3:05 AM, Traumfahrer said:

There definitely are and I read quite some literature about it, about the effects on elevated salt concentration for stressed/ill freshwater fish. For example commercial fish farms increase the salt levels when transporting and handling fish, as that causes less casualties.

Check this discussion where I quoted part of a pubcliation about "Osmoregulation in Fish".

I'm just trying to get something conclusive regarding especially dropsy. Basically all sources say that salt (low concentration) helps reduce the osmotic pressure and fluid excretion. Some do say to use Aquarium Salt, NaCl (or Sea Salt), others say to use Epsom Salt (MgSO₄) and advise against using Aquarium Salt for unkown reasons. That's what I try to understand and get information on.

Yes, I have read that epsom salt is used for internal parasites that cause bloating. It's a laxative. But for swelling of organs from bacteria I don't think it helps. 

There is a youtube video of a goldfish, I don't remember the specifics but he opens up a goldfish with dropsy. Look for "the fish doctor"

That publication is interesting. Seems salt is good overall for stressed fish. I don't know what it would do for dropsy though??

Edited by Wrencher_Scott