Corydoras schultzei ??

Mr Gumby

Can some kind person with vastly better knowledge than I confirm this is a schultzei and not the rarer venezuelanus sp. black please (Google is not being my friend)

I currently have two and want to bring the group up to six, not seen any locally for ages and I don't want to order the wrong thing (his bronze cousin clearly didn't want to miss out on the photo opportunity)image.jpeg.af23d6a6cc8f1f21f5de89e889af7241.jpeg

Oh we can definitely help out with that.  There was a rabbit hole I went down which lead to the amazing discovery of the Slate Corydoras.  There is a link in my signature that talks about the issue / confusion of the Venezuelan vs. Schultzei corydoras.  You can also look at my journal for a good selection of the latter (Schultzei) variety.  We do have some on the forums with the black proper Venezuelan as well.

9 times out of 10.... when you see "black corydoras" they literally will be "black Venezuelan corydoras" which is almost always actually the proper "black cory" from germany (schultzei).  My recommendation would be to place the order, confirm before shipping anything that it's what you actually are trying to bring in.  By bodyshape, you have the ones I do. I can tell that right away.  The Schultzei / Gold Flash "black" are pretty big corydoras.

@Ken Burke and a few others have the darkened version of the proper Venezuelan corydoras.

Here is the post where we tracked it all down with decently good photos of all 3 varieties.

• Thanks 2

On 10/14/2022 at 7:18 PM, Ken Burke said:

Of course I’ve got a full tank of venezuelanus.  Anyone need a few?

If I had a tank. Totally would.  Maybe soon.

Honestly Ken, I think yours are way more rare!  It's a different visual, but I've almost never seen those fish except on here. I have seen the ones I have a few times, especially all over aquabid and stuff.  I'm seeing them in a ton of videos online now so prices and availability are getting a lot better. 

Having Venezuelan corydoras is about the same as the ones I have, I would think, but having the "black" Venezuelan variety is what people often mix up and is super rare.  All amazing fish and very unique.  I wish I could have them all!

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Like 1

On 10/14/2022 at 9:23 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

If I had a tank. Totally would.  Maybe soon.

Honestly Ken, I think yours are way more rare!  It's a different visual, but I've almost never seen those fish except on here. I have seen the ones I have a few times, especially all over aquabid and stuff.  I'm seeing them in a ton of videos online now so prices and availability are getting a lot better. 

Having Venezuelan corydoras is about the same as the ones I have, I would think, but having the "black" Venezuelan variety is what people often mix up and is super rare.  All amazing fish and very unique.  I wish I could have them all!

So many fish, so few tanks

On 10/15/2022 at 3:18 AM, Ken Burke said:

Yeah, those are schultzei.  My experience is that the schultzei are more pricey, so more rare.  Of course I’ve got a full tank of venezuelanus.  Anyone need a few?

I'd love to take you up on your offer but shipping may be an issue lol.

Don't suppose you have any good pictures of yours for a definitive comparison between the two strains?

On 10/15/2022 at 7:15 AM, Mr Gumby said:

Failing to see how there can be so much confusion between the two tho??

Depending on the color, most corydoras / fish will change slightly.  They can get a bit darker.  The confusion is literally from old articles and from bad information where people are calling the "black corydoras" Venezuelan and it never was from that region, but from Europe.  (Link in my signature is that clarification).  It's the type of thing where it was confusion from pre-internet and it's gotten worse and worse because people are refusing to update shipping lists and so on.