AllFishNoBrakes’ Journal

On 10/23/2023 at 4:43 AM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

The other LFS has the “blue green Axelrodi Rasboras” in stock. Are they blue? Or are they green? Idk, but I’m really after the blue 

Never heard of blue green ones. 🤷‍♂️

I’d ask your more lucrative LFS to order some in, seeing as you’re one of their suppliers and they might think that you’re gonna try and spawn them. 😅Either way you’ve got a good relationship with them. Why tarnish it by going to LFS#2? 

On 10/22/2023 at 7:43 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

2. The other LFS has the “blue green Axelrodi Rasboras” in stock. Are they blue? Or are they green? Idk, but I’m really after the blue 

Yes.  It's not the fun response, but I'm guessing it's all the same thing.  I would try to get a full scientific name if you can.

https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/sundadanio-axelrodi/

It exists in several colour forms depending on locality; fish from the south and east of Sarawak state in Malaysian Borneo are green/blue in colour while those found in the west are red/orange, for example. It would be useful if these variants were labelled with the collection details by hobbyists and scientists alike in order to preserve bloodlines and maintain greater accuracy although normally they are just labelled with the distinguishing colour eg. ‘red’, ‘green’ or ‘blue’.

From another site:

The Blue Axelrodi Rasbora is one of three distinctive color morphs of this species encountered in the wild, with the Green and Red forms being either locality-based color variants or perhaps very closely related undescribed species. In the aquarium, they will do best when kept in warm, slightly soft water and require excellent water quality to thrive. Like most rasboras, they will do best in a group of 10 or more fish.

My guess is that the scientific name is used, they all have the same name, and those color clarifiers are likely not used.  Same thing with Neon green tetra, sometimes they look blue.  I can so easily see that being labelled as "blue green tetra" by someone trying to be more clear.  It's a bit of a mess, but I believe that's all the same thing. 

That being said.... Fight the urge and just wait. Use that store credit!

On 10/22/2023 at 11:53 PM, TheSwissAquarist said:

I’d ask your more lucrative LFS to order some in, seeing as you’re one of their suppliers and they might think that you’re gonna try and spawn them. 😅Either way you’ve got a good relationship with them. Why tarnish it by going to LFS#2? 

LFS #1 told me they “try to get some in every few weeks”. I’m on the waitlist and will be notified when they come in. 

LFS #2 is far enough away that I feel like it’s a different market, so I don’t necessarily feel bad working with them or like I’m tarnishing the relationship with #1, it’s more just the instant gratification, timing could work better for me with this Angel spawn I have going, and they know me there, too. LFS #1 is just more lucrative. 

On 10/23/2023 at 2:11 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

That being said.... Fight the urge and just wait. Use that store credit!

That’s what I really WANT to do, I just don’t want to screw myself with the timing and not have a QT tank open for them and miss my chance again. I’ve already missed out on them twice lol

• Like 1

@JChristophersAdventures Appreciate the kind words! I’m no wizard with the camera, and I don’t do any editing besides just a crop at times to keep the tank as the focal point. Not bad for a standard iPhone and an untrained photographer, I guess!

That blackwater tea has gotten suuuuuper dark as of late. I boil for 15 minutes, and then let it steep for 45 minutes. Has been a game changer when it comes to collecting the tea, although I don’t have a super good use for it. 

Edited by AllFishNoBrakes
  • Like 1

Biggest news of the day, friends, is that Blink 182 announced their 2024 tour! Awwww yeah! I got the presale code, and tickets go on sale at 10am tomorrow. However, I gave a General Manager’s yearly evaluation at the exact same time…

The power will be in my girlfriends hands! We’re hoping to get similar seats to when we saw them last July. We’ll see!

Cheers to being an adult with a stable career and disposable income to see your favorite band for the past 20+ years, again, for the fourth time! 🤘🤘🤘

• Like 1

YOU GUYS!!!

I was working on my tanks, checked my phone, and had a text from the Coop. I replied “Y” to accept, and it told me that my package had shipped, and to click a link to track it. 

I thought for sure this was a scam as I didn’t place an order. I login to my Coop account and see I have something I did not order saying it was arriving on Tuesday. 

I check my email, and sure enough, I have an order confirmation and tracking for a package from the Coop for an Easy Flow Kit!!!! 

I start reading the email, and see this at the bottom:

IMG_5038.jpeg.ea5231639b5b1de9eb27dd21ce83bdbc.jpeg

I have no clue how this happened. I’m guessing maybe Cory saw my excitement in the general discussion and worked some Coop magic to link my forum account to my ACO account and ship one out? That’s my best guess, anyways. 

I’m equally excited and confused as to how this happened, but best believe I will be playing with this kit and will report on it here.

THANK YOU @Cory and the ACO team! I feel like I won the lottery!

• Love 2

• Administrators

You're welcome. I had some air freighted to us so I could give some out to forum users, facebook, youtube, partner stores etc. Figured people would enjoy getting early access and can help answer questions people have about them.

Outside of winning the Nerm lottery, here’s where we’re at. 

It was a bit of a weird week. Normally I have Wednesday and Thursday off, but we had a Cornhole tournament for work yesterday. All the Leaders and their GM’s from all our stores were invited, and myself and the other Ops Manager happened to come out victorious. $200, a cool little Cornhole board keychain, and a new button up shirt is what I walked away with. Not bad for a fun time with the whole Leadership Team. 

I got all the small tanks done yesterday before going out to the tournament, and circled back to all the big tanks today. 

I’ve really been putting in work on the Pea Puffer tank and it’s paying off. The new internal filter continues to make it easier, and I keep chipping away at it. 

IMG_5046.jpeg.a595cb20ad6e79b937336e1c0d84c0dd.jpeg

I cut out the baby Sword plants and put 2 of them in here. We’ll see if they take hold. I also have the spraybar pointed downward at a 45° angle blowing across the tank. I moved the c02 diffuser towards the back a few inches. It comes up, and then gets blown down and across the tank. We’ll see how that does. I tied up the PSO with some airline tubing and a couple of suction cups. It was just blowing all over the place, so I’m glad I found a solution for that. The few shrimp I have in this tank basically live in that PSO ball or I’d probably just get rid of it.

I’m tempted to RR the Java Fern and the Anubius in this tank. It would probably do them well, it’s just getting the supplies and actually doing it. We’ll see. 
IMG_5047.jpeg.262dc8599a8d3c5eaeebde34c2da0246.jpeg

Val that I replanted sent out a little runner. If that keeps going towards the back, hits the back glass, and turns left it would be really great. Only time will tell. 

IMG_5042.jpeg.29f7bff48930f3979a04eb9698a46850.jpeg

Still really diggin’ the 29 blackwater. Still patiently waiting for the LFS to bring in some Black Neons. 

We also ripped out like 90% of the Java Moss in the aquaponics tank. Don’t know if I mentioned that last week, but after all the dust settled, there was sooooooo much mulm in that tank. I got that mostly cleaned up today, and my girlfriend is happier with that tank. I probably would’ve only taken out 40-50% of the moss, but it’s all good. It’ll grow back! It always does. 

Now, the real question is, where am I going to put this Easy Flow kit?! 🤔

Edited by AllFishNoBrakes

@TheSwissAquarist @nabokovfan87 I’m thinking I should try it in a tank that doesn’t have much flow already, so that eliminates the 29 blackwater, the 20 long blackwater, and the 29 Pea Puffer tank. 

I’m thinking either the 55 with the Panda Pair and the Bristlenose pair, or the 55 on the rack. Always decisions to be made. 

• Like 1

On 10/27/2023 at 6:29 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

@nabokovfan87 for sure. I was thinking the same. 

Breeding tank is 1/3 of a 55 walled off with like 2” fine foam. Could be a good test. 

Other 55 has all the Swords and Jungle Val in it. Could also be a good test!

Mine will be in a 29G.  I vote you toss it in the full length 4 foot tank. (no foam) if you have one without it.