most accurate ph meter ?

Leo2o915

You always get down to the question of, "How accurate do you need to be?" The pH in a tank will vary over the course of a day by more than the accuracy of most testers. In general, pH will drop in the overnight hours as CO2 accumulates and plants/algae aren't consuming it. The CO2 combines with the water to form carbonic acid which lowers the pH. Then as the day goes on the pH will rise as the CO2 gets absorbed by the plants and algae. Even the best buffered tanks will see some swing in pH values throughout the course of a day. In the real-world, a difference as large as 0.5 (or larger) won't affect most fish. Even in their native habitats things like a large rainfall can significantly alter their pH. Does knowing your pH at this minute is 6.5431 with an absurdly accurate tester change how you treat your fish over knowing the pH is somewhere between 6.3 or 6.7? No. It shouldn't. Ballpark numbers are typically fine for pH. You don't need pinpoint accuracy. You more want to know the trend in pH than the most accurate number at this moment.

• Like 1

I agree @gardenman that 0.01 accuracy isn't useful. What I find frustrating is how unreliable most inexpensive pH meters are. I have the yellow one with 1 inch wide probe housing, and I can get widely different readings if I shake it. There is no knowing which reading is correct. Another one at least has a replaceable probe but doesn't adjust the reading when I calibrate it. Possibly I'm supposed to add or subtract to adjust the sample reading. I can see why investing in a $100+ pH meter makes sense, especially after using one in daily work in a lab. Sorry for the rant/whining, I guess I'll say that if one wants to use a pH meter in the hobby expect to pay a bit more so the readout can be trusted.