Flourish Advance with Easy Green

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has experience or knows if it’s ok or redundant using Easy Green with Flourish Advance.  I have both and currently use Easy Green with Seachem Iron and Potassium as needed.  My tank never seems to read Iron on the API test kit so I may not be dosing enough.  

I ask because I contacted a seller I bought Water Sprite from.  I’m floating it and it’s still going through a transitional period.  Some are growing in green, others are pale or actually white.  So, the seller recommended Advance.  

I honestly can’t wait until I get my act together to start using dry ferts, but I’m just not ready yet.  I should note this is a new tank - about 7 or so weeks.  My other plants are doing well, although my Val’s seemed to be at a standstill getting taller.  They are fuller.  

Thanks for your help!  I know this isn’t a ton of infornation to go with so please ask me questions!  

I used Flourish products for awhile.  I wasn't getting great results (so many products too), so I switched to EasyGreen and, eventually, also started using (don't laugh) Leaf Zone in combination with it (which is essentially iron and potassium --MD swears by it in his YouTube videos!).  This, in combination with the proper light calibration did the trick (though it took some time to get there).  As for your Val, mine was kind of touchy for awhile (didn't grow very high and wasn't always as green as it should be) but, recently, it's taken off.  I've also been getting lots of plantlets. I don't have much experience with Water Sprite...I bought some once at a Big Box place but it wasn't in very good shape and I ended up replacing it.

On 10/10/2022 at 10:51 AM, The Arthritic Aquarist said:

I used Flourish products for awhile.  I wasn't getting great results (so many products too), so I switched to EasyGreen and, eventually, also started using (don't laugh)

There’s nothing to laugh at. Leaf Zone might be old school, but I’ve used it in combination with East Green with success. Now I’m using APT Zero, and I think it’s a very similar solution of Potassium and Iron. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/10/2022 at 1:51 PM, The Arthritic Aquarist said:

I used Flourish products for awhile.  I wasn't getting great results (so many products too), so I switched to EasyGreen and, eventually, also started using (don't laugh) Leaf Zone in combination with it (which is essentially iron and potassium --MD swears by it in his YouTube videos!).  This, in combination with the proper light calibration did the trick (though it took some time to get there).  As for your Val, mine was kind of touchy for awhile (didn't grow very high and wasn't always as green as it should be) but, recently, it's taken off.  I've also been getting lots of plantlets. I don't have much experience with Water Sprite...I bought some once at a Big Box place but it wasn't in very good shape and I ended up replacing it.

Hi!  It’s funny you mention this because I’ve thought about using Leaf Zone.  I also watch MD’s videos and know he swears by it.  I’m so glad you have good luck with it along with the Easy Green - I’m going to give it a try!  

I figured the Val’s just need some time.  But I do think they are lacking too so hopefully this helps!  

Thank you so much for your reply and recommendation!  I really appreciate it!  🙏🙏

MD's videos are great.  I should have mentioned that I also use Seachem root tabs as I have the Val, as well as dwarf sag, crypts, etc.  I would use the Co-op's but in Canada so not as easy to get.  At any rate, I put in the root tabs every 3 or so months.  Seems to be working.

On 10/10/2022 at 2:47 PM, Patrick_G said:

There’s nothing to laugh at. Leaf Zone might be old school, but I’ve used it in combination with East Green with success. Now I’m using APT Zero, and I think it’s a very similar solution of Potassium and Iron. 

Seems to do the job.  🙂

That's a beautiful tank btw (i.e. the pic you provided).

• Like 1

On 10/10/2022 at 2:41 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

Iron can be taken up completely as fast as 30 minutes. Hence a zero ppm test. Trust your dosing target and stick with it. 

In my CO2 tanks, I dose between .4 and .5ppm weekly.

Hi,

I get so confused by this testing after I add it.  If I test within the 30 mins after adding it, how do I know how much to add?    I was just doing a small dose of 0.25ml once a week, but I know that’s probably not enough.  I just get worried about overdosing since I have my betta in the tank.   

I probably will try the Leaf Zone since it has nutrients I’m lacking and seems like people have good luck, but in the meantime, I would like to add Iron today.  I dosed the Easy Green after a large water change yesterday.  

Thanks for your help.  

On 10/11/2022 at 1:16 PM, Lauren A said:

Hi,

I get so confused by this testing after I add it.  If I test within the 30 mins after adding it, how do I know how much to add?    I was just doing a small dose of 0.25ml once a week, but I know that’s probably not enough.  I just get worried about overdosing since I have my betta in the tank.   

I probably will try the Leaf Zone since it has nutrients I’m lacking and seems like people have good luck, but in the meantime, I would like to add Iron today.  I dosed the Easy Green after a large water change yesterday.  

Thanks for your help.  

How many gallons is the tank?

On 10/11/2022 at 12:55 PM, The Arthritic Aquarist said:

MD's videos are great.  I should have mentioned that I also use Seachem root tabs as I have the Val, as well as dwarf sag, crypts, etc.  I would use the Co-op's but in Canada so not as easy to get.  At any rate, I put in the root tabs every 3 or so months.  Seems to be working.

Seems to do the job.  🙂

Thank you so much!  I forgot to mention the root tabs as well.  I have Seachems in this tank too.  I actually have the Co Op’s brand on hand that I tried on a different tank, but I can never get them to stay down.  They’ll float up but also turn mushy.  It got frustrating for me but would’ve loved to use them.  I just couldn’t figure out how to keep them down.  

On 10/11/2022 at 12:55 PM, The Arthritic Aquarist said:

Seems to do the job.  🙂

I love his videos too.  They’re fun to watch - he’s an entertaining guy.  I wish I could throw a tank together as quickly as he does!    It takes me a week just to figure out how to arrange my hardscape.  😆 I’m starting another tank any day now and it’s a cube so I’m going to check out some of his videos for cubes!  

On 10/11/2022 at 4:21 PM, The Arthritic Aquarist said:

Re: your new cube... You might also want to check out The Small Scape YouTube channel.  The host (Joanna I think her name is) has a number of small tanks and is into aquascaping.  She and her husband also have the Prime Time Aquatics channel.

Thank you so much! I will definitely check her out!  Is the Prime Time Channel on YouTube too?  I can Google it too.  I appreciate your recommendation.  I need inspiration on how I want to arrange the tank.  And different plant ideas.  

On 10/11/2022 at 3:19 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

How many gallons is the tank?

It’s 10 gallons.  But most likely closer to about 8.5-9 gallons since the water level is dropped a bit.  Thanks!

On 10/12/2022 at 11:08 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

Your flourish dose is only .02ppm Fe, I can't remember what easy green doses. You'll just need to add the easy green amount for your total.

Found it, .034ppm. So about.05ppm Fe.

Thank you very much.  Do you know how much that equals in ml?  

Then after dosing, should I check my Iron levels within a half hour?  I had been adding 0.25 ml once a week.  This gets confusing for me and I get even more confused with their website instructions.  I just want to make sure I’m testing at the correct times and adding the right amount through the week.  I’m sorry for all the questions, I just get so confused.  Thank you for your help!

I also have Easy Iron on hand if you think that’s better?  

Edited by Lauren A

On 10/12/2022 at 10:59 AM, Lauren A said:

Thank you very much.  Do you know how much that equals in ml?  

Then after dosing, should I check my Iron levels within a half hour?  I had been adding 0.25 ml once a week.  This gets confusing for me and I get even more confused with their website instructions.  I just want to make sure I’m testing at the correct times and adding the right amount through the week.  I’m sorry for all the questions, I just get so confused.  Thank you for your help!

I also have Easy Iron on hand if you think that’s better?  

That's how much you are currently dosing. Assuming 1 squirt of Easy Green.

I do that combo fairly often (low tech tank no co2)  it really seems to help roots grow in quicker, and IMO helps with the different water parameter my water might as well be a liquid boulder, but i am pretty certain the coop has soft water. Maybe it helps the plant with the initial  transition. it does seem to have some effect I purchased some plants for a new 40Breeder but had just missed petcos sale, so i figured id put some in my 20 long and the others mainly anubias into a bucket with a light, used the easy green and a daily dose of advance, those phyto hormones or whatever they are called did seem to give the nanas and gold coin a growth spurt.  used every other day with weekly to bi-weekly easy green, used the advance for aporx. 45 days, will be doing that combo again

On 10/12/2022 at 7:17 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

I would shoot for .2ppm weekly.

Great, I dosed it before lights this am so I hope this helps.  I’m seeing some new growth on my Red Flame Sword looks a bit twisted.  I contacted the seller and he said it looks good and not to worry and I still have emersed form leaves (the longer stems).  Any chance you can spot what type of deficiency this is, if any at all.  I know Porassium is right where it should be and maybe the iron is what it needs.  I’ve clipped off older leaves, but there are still some there.  The. 3 in the middle are all new growth.  I have a root tab under it.  Thanks again!CB6B2BC5-91F7-45A5-B3BC-CE7E3A0338F7.jpeg.d6e1a325724d8b4b70f5ebf635ffdf2e.jpeg

B1B63E36-2ABF-4E7B-A486-FBFDDEBD1ABE.jpeg

Edited by Lauren A

On 10/12/2022 at 7:52 PM, glenn anthony said:

I do that combo fairly often (low tech tank no co2)  it really seems to help roots grow in quicker, and IMO helps with the different water parameter my water might as well be a liquid boulder, but i am pretty certain the coop has soft water. Maybe it helps the plant with the initial  transition. it does seem to have some effect I purchased some plants for a new 40Breeder but had just missed petcos sale, so i figured id put some in my 20 long and the others mainly anubias into a bucket with a light, used the easy green and a daily dose of advance, those phyto hormones or whatever they are called did seem to give the nanas and gold coin a growth spurt.  used every other day with weekly to bi-weekly easy green, used the advance for aporx. 45 days, will be doing that combo again

That’s awesome!  Thank you so much.  I do feel like my plants could use a boost.  They look good, but small observations would be that my floating pennywort is growing in small leaves so I’d consider this stunted growth?  Maybe?  It’s certainly not taking off growth wise either. I also notice this with the Water Sprite (and the light/white new growth like I mentioned.  Same with my Vals.  But on the other hand, some plants look and grow outstanding - my Tiger Lotus is a bright bold pink and is constantly growing more leaves.  My Crypt Wendtii were taking off but now I’m noticing that has slowed down but they still look great.  I did have to cut a dead leaf the other day.  It tuned to mush quickly so I’m not sure why.  My Crinum Calistrinum is looking amazing too.  So it’s hard to nail down what the issue is. 

Maybe I’m expecting too much too quickly since the tank is still so young.  But I did acclimate my plants and my crypts transitioned to underwater growth before I planted them. All of the plants sat in a “temporary tank” for about a month - floating but they did great.

i really appreciate your help.  Did you use the recommended dose of the Advance for your tank size or take into account what Easy Green already provided?  Just curious if I use this, how much I would use.  Thanks again for your help!

Edited by Lauren A
Tiger lotus not water lotus

On 10/13/2022 at 12:50 PM, Lauren A said:

Great, I dosed it before lights this am so I hope this helps.  I’m seeing some new growth on my Red Flame Sword looks a bit twisted.  I contacted the seller and he said it looks good and not to worry and I still have emersed form leaves (the longer stems).  Any chance you can spot what type of deficiency this is, if any at all.  I know Porassium is right where it should be and maybe the iron is what it needs.  I’ve clipped off older leaves, but there are still some there.  The. 3 in the middle are all new growth.  I have a root tab under it.  Thanks again!CB6B2BC5-91F7-45A5-B3BC-CE7E3A0338F7.jpeg.d6e1a325724d8b4b70f5ebf635ffdf2e.jpeg

B1B63E36-2ABF-4E7B-A486-FBFDDEBD1ABE.jpeg

Looks okay at the moment.

• Thanks 1

On 10/13/2022 at 10:45 PM, glenn anthony said:

I have never tried to grow anything from a bulb, but next coop order I do intend on getting a few Hope they grow for me think its the tiger lotus and red dwarf lily,  and Cory if your lurkin' stop putting out so many products its starting to thin out my wallet LOL😗🤑

This is my first bulb plant too!  I bought it already grown out, but all of the leaves that originally came on it melted very quickly but new growth appeared simultaneously so it has looked really pretty from the start.  And remained this way.  I have a low Ph and water that’s definitely on the softer side, and I know you mentioned your water is very hard.  I thought of all my plants that I might struggle with it, but it just floats and does it’s thing!  I didn’t plant the bulb.  

Tell me about it!  I drive myself crazy - every time someone mentions a plant that’s new to me or I see one in a tank that I love - I just have to have it!!!  It definitely gets pricey!  Especially when it comes to Bucephalandra- there are SO many types and I love and want them all but they are expensive little plants.  🤷‍♀️