Pregnant or something wrong?

GisheryGoodness

I thought one of my platys was just pregnant but now I'm not really sure. She's chasing glass occasionally and not really swimming with the others. Other than that no odd behavior, still eating and I've seen her poop. But I'm worried it's dropsy instead. She has a white spot on her anal spot? And is very large. I'm just very worried, I can't seem to get a good pic really, and I'm not sure if she looks like a pinecone from above, I dont think so but I'm not sure what exactly that means. Tank parameters are all normal. 

Ammonia- 0

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate btw 5 and 10

Ph - 7.6

Gh - 10

Kh - 6

Temp - 78

20221001_143418.jpg

20221001_153135.jpg

20221001_143446.jpg

20221001_143413.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/2/2022 at 8:12 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

How long has she been like this?

My first guess is dropsy, and keep on looking for signs of pinecone scales.

She has been a little fat for a couple of weeks hence thinking pregnant but only this big for 2 almost 3 days now. Normally I'd move her to quarantine but I just got a new fish for another tank so I'm not sure that I should do that. I've been just watching closely so far. 

On 10/2/2022 at 1:23 PM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Give her another 3 days and see if she shows any signs of dropsy, or she may drop some fry.

I'm going to take a guess that she dropped some fry though I haven't found any yet. May not find any with the other greedy platys and a betta but this is her now. Still a bit larger than usual though. 

20221002_143917.jpg

20221002_143509.jpg

On 10/3/2022 at 5:42 AM, Guppysnail said:

I only ever had 1 male platy. I do have guppies though. When they square like this it is just prior to birthing. The fry most likely got eaten or you may still find some. They are excellent at hiding. 

Thank you! That makes me feel better. She just seemed so much bigger than the other two that I've had give birth so I wasn't sure. 

On 10/3/2022 at 8:42 AM, GisheryGoodness said:

She just seemed so much bigger than the other two that I've had give birth

This means she eats the most. Amount of babies usually corresponds with food. She must be your best competitor. My piggy guppy girl gets so big it’s scary. 

On 10/3/2022 at 7:34 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Could be eggbound rather than disease.

Tagging @Colu as well for another opinion.

More than likely just given brith and just a little fat when I kept platy's they were prone to over eating putting on the pound's 

• Like 1